Richard Bailey is an Associate Professor in Geochronology, Director of the School of Geography and the Environment Luminescence Dating Laboratory and Tutorial Fellow of St Catherine's College. He is also the Departmental Safety Officer. Prior to September 2006, he held positions including a Lecturership in Physical Geography (Royal Holloway, University of London), NERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (University of Oxford), Research Fellowships at St John's College and the Research Laboratory for Archaeology and the History of Art (University of Oxford); and a Stipendiary Lectureship in Physical Geography, St Catherine's College (Oxford).
He is a member of the Editorial Board of Quaternary Geochronology and of the Review Panel for the luminescence research journal Ancient TL. He also acts as a reviewer for several other international journals in the fields of geography, environmental change and applied physics (including Quaternary Science Reviews, Holocene, Palaeogeography-Palaeoclimatology-Palaeoecology, Radiation Measurements, Journal of Applied Physics) and has reviewed grants for NERC and the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). Invited contributions include journal articles for Quaternary Science Reviews and Radiation Protection Dosimetry, and oral conference presentations for the International Conference on Solid State Dosimetry and the International Quaternary Research Association (INQUA). He is a member of several learned societies including St John's College, Oxford, the American Geophysical Union, Quaternary Research Association and the Royal Geographical Society. He is also the creator of WikiLum, a 'wiki' for the luminescence community which acts as an internationally-fed database, message board and file-swapping point for those involved in luminescence dating.
Dr Bailey's research is focused primarily on the development of Luminescence Dating techniques and their application to research topics in Quaternary science, including climate/environmental change, geomorphology and human evolution/dispersion. His work on the development of luminescence methods involves laboratory-based experimental work, the development of numerical models (of quartz electron population dynamics) and of statistical models of dating results. He also has a more general interest in quantitative methods and their application in physical geography.
Aspects of this work have been funded by the Natural Environment Research Council, Leverhulme Trust, Royal Society, Australian Research Council, private commercial contracts and internal University grants.
Selected Research Projects
- Chronology of glacial deposits from the UK
In collaboration with Prof. Jim Rose, Dr Steve Pawley, Dr Simon Armitage (Royal Holloway, University of London) and Dr Phil Toms (University of Gloucestershire); Financial support from Leverhulme Trust; (2007-2009)
- African palaeoclimate: the dating of palaeo-shoreline deposits and other geomorphic features, in Southern Africa, associated with past changes in surface hydrology
In collaboration with Professor David S.G. Thomas; Financial support from NERC; D.Phil. Students: Sallie Burrough; Abigail Stone; (2005-2008)
- Chronology of Chinese loess deposits and development of long time-range dating methods
In collaboration with Dr Wang Xulong (Xi'An, China) and Prof. Ann Wintle (Aberystwyth); Financial support from Royal Society; (2005-2006)
Applications to Human evolution and dispersion
- The dating of fossil human remains using incorporated sand
In collaboration with Prof. Fred Grine (Stony Brook, New York); (2004-2007)
- The dating of frozen sediments from Beringia containing preserved DNA
In collaboration with Prof. R. Roberts (University of Wollongong, Australia); Financial support from Australian Research Council; (2003-2007)
Development of luminescence methods
- Development and understanding of new approaches to longer-term dating methods
In collaboration with Prof. A. Wintle (Aberystwyth, UK), Dr G. Adamiec (Silesian University of Technology, Poland), Wang Xulong (Xi'An, China); Financial support from Royal Society; (2005-2006)
- Extending the Scope and Range of Accurate, High Precision Optical Dating of Terrestrial Sediments
Financial support from NERC; (2002-2005)
- Theoretical modelling of electron population dynamics in quartz in relation to general quartz luminescence phenomena.
- Luminescence signal analysis and methodological developments
Financial support from NERC; DPhil Student: D. Bailey (RLAHA, Oxford)
Dr Bailey contributes to the core 'Geographical Techniques (Statistical Analysis)' course for the Preliminary Examination. He also shares teaching of the Final Honour School Option course 'Quaternary Period', for which he is course director.
He lectures on the core course on 'Statistics and Quantitative Methods' spanning the MSc courses Biodiversity, Conservation and Management; Environmental Change and Management; and Water Science, Policy and Management. He is also a contributor and course director for the 'Modelling Environmental Systems' core course of the MSc in Water Science, Policy and Management.
Current Graduate Research Students
Developing a framework for social and environmental boundaries in small island developing states
Development and testing of a coupled vegetation / sediment-transport model for dryland environments
Enhancing regional palaeoenvironmental records through analysis of Late Quaternary sand ramp accumulation
|Diana Bailey||(RLAHA, Oxford)|
Recent Graduate Research Students (since 2006)
|S. Pawley||(2007; Univ. of London)|
Publications are those that were listed on the old website. Publications database integration forthcoming.
- Atkinson, O.A.C., Thomas, D.S.G., Goudie, A.S. and Bailey, R.M. (2011) Late Quaternary chronology of major dune ridge development in the northeast Rub' al-Khali, United Arab Emirates. Quaternary Research, 76(1): 93-105.
- Bailey, R.M. (2010) Spatial and temporal signatures of fragility and threshold proximity in modelled semi-arid vegetation. Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
- Willis, K.J., Bailey R.M., Bhagwat S.A. and Birks H.J.B. (2010) Biodiversity baselines, thresholds and resilience: testing predictions and assumptions using palaeoecological data. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 25(10): 583-591.
- Bailey, R.M. and McKeever, S.W.S. (2009) The physical basis of luminescence dating. In, Krbetschek, M. (ed.) Luminescence Dating: An introduction and handbook, Springer.
- Burrough, S.L., Thomas, D.S.G. and Bailey, R.M. (2009) Mega-Lake in the Kalahari: A Late Pleistocene record of the Palaeolake Makgadikgadi system. Quaternary Science Reviews.
- Thomas, D.S.G., Bailey, R.M., Shaw, P.A., Durcan, J.A. and Singarayer, J.S. (2009) Late Quaternary highstands at Lake Chilwa, Malawi: Frequency, timing and possible forcing mechanisms in the last 44 ka. Quaternary Science Reviews, 28: 526-539.
- Blockley, S.P.E., Lane, C.S., Oh, A., Ditchfield, P., Bogaard, A., Langdon, P.G., Schreve, D.C., Thomas, D.S.G. and Bailey, R.M. (eds.) (2009) Quaternary Abstracts: The human dimension in rapid environmental change. Quaternary Research Association, Annual Discussion Meeting January 2009, Oxford.
- Brncic, T.M., Willis, K.J., Harris, D.J., Telfer, M.W. and Bailey, R.M. (2009) Fire and climate change impacts on lowland forest composition in northern Congo during the last 2580 years from palaeoecological analyses of a seasonally flooded swamp. The Holocene, 19(1): 79-89.
- Lowick, S. and Bailey, R.M. (2008) Application of luminescence methods to the dating of glacial sediments associated with the Parallel Roads of Glen Roy. In, Palmer, A., Lowe, J., and Rose, J. (eds.) The Quaternary of Glen Roy and vicinity: field guide (Quaternary Research Association field guide, 0261 3611). Quaternary Research Association, London, Ch. 9, pp. 92-109.
- Harrison, S., Glasser, N.F., Winchester, V., Haresign, E., Warren, C.R., Duller, G., Bailey, R.M., Ivy-Ochs, S., Jansson, K.N. and Kubik, P. (2008) Glaciar León, Chilean Patagonia: late-Holocene chronology and geomorphorphology. Holocene, 18(4): 643-652.
- Arnold, L.J., Bailey, R.M., Tucker, G.E. (2007) Statistical treatment of fluvial dose distributions from southern Colorado arroyo deposits. Quaternary Geochronology, 2(1-4): 162-167.
- Burrough, S.L., Thomas, D.S.G., Shaw, P.A., and Bailey, R.M. (2007) Multiphase Quaternary highstands at Lake Ngami, Kalahari, northern Botswana. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 253(3-4): 280-299.
- Grine, F.E., Bailey, R.M., Harvati, K., Nathan, R.P., Morris, A.G., Henderson, G.M., Ribot, I., and Pike, A.W.G. (2007) Late Pleistocene human skull from Hofmeyr, South Africa, and modern human origins. Science, 315: 226-229.
- Bailey, R.M. and Arnold, L.J. (2006) Statistical modelling of single grain quartz De distributions and an assessment of procedures for estimating burial dose. Quaternary Science Reviews, 25: 2475-2502.
- Fattahi, M., Singarayer, J.S., Bailey, R.M. and Stokes, S. (2006) The linearly modulated IRSL red emission from feldspars. Geochronometrica, 25: 19-28.
- Adamiec, G., Bluszcz, A., Bailey, R.M. and Garcia-Talavera, M. (2006) Finding model parameters: Genetic algorithms and the numerical modelling of quartz luminescence. Radiation Measurements, 41: 897-902.
- ZhongPing, L., Murray, A.S., Bailey, R.M., Huot, S. and Bøtter-Jensen, L. (2006) Quartz red TL SAR equivalent dose overestimation for Chinese loess. Radiation Measurements, 41: 114-119.
- Winchester, V., Harrison, S. and Bailey, R.M. (2005) A 2.5ka luminescence date for a terminal moraine in the Leones valley, southern Chile. Journal of Glaciology, 51(172): 186-188
- Gzegorz, A., Garcia-Talavera, M., Bailey, R.M. and Iñiguez de la Torre, P. (2004) Application of a genetic algorithm to finding parameter values for numerical simulation of quartz luminescence. Geochronometrica, 23: 9-14.
- Sivia, D.A., Burbidge, C., Roberts, R.G. and Bailey, R.M. (2004) A Bayesian Approach to the Evaluation of Equivalent Doses in Sediment Mixtures for Luminescence Dating. American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings, 735: 305-311.
- Singarayer, J.S., Bailey, R.M., Ward, S. and Stokes, S. (2004) Assessing the completeness of optical resetting of quartz OSL in the natural environment. Radiation Measurements, 40(1): 13-25.
- Armitage, S.J. and Bailey, R.M. (2005) The measured dependence of laboratory beta dose rates on sample grain size. Radiation Measurements, 39: 123-127.
- Bailey, R.M., Armitage, S.J. and Stokes, S. (2005) An investigation of pulsed-irradiation regeneration of quartz OSL and its implications for the precision and accuracy of optical dating (Paper II). Radiation Measurements, 39: 347-359.
- Stokes, S., Bailey, R.M., Fedoroff, N., O'Marah, K.E. (2004) Optical dating of aeolian dynamism on the West African Sahelian margin. Geomorphology, 59: 281-291.
- Singarayer, J.S. and Bailey, R.M. (2004) Component-resolved bleaching spectra of quartz optically stimulated luminescence: preliminary results and implications for dating. Radiation Measurements, 38: 111-118.
- Bailey, R.M. (2004) Simulation of dose absorption in quartz over geological timescales and its implications for the precision and accuracy of optical dating (Paper I). Radiation Measurements, 38: 299-310.
- Stokes, S. and Bailey, R.M. (2003) OSL-Dating of Nazlet Safaha and Nazlet Khater 4. In, P.M. Vermeersch (Ed.) Palaeolithic Quarrying Sites in Upper and Middle Egypt (Egyptian Prehistory Monographs - Volume 04), ISBN 978 90 5867 266 7.
- Van Peer, P., Fullagar, R., Stokes, S., Bailey, R.M., Moeyersons, J., Steenhoudt, F., Geerts, A., Vanderbeken, T., De Dapper, M. and Geus, M. (2003) The Early to Middle Stone Age Transition and the Emergence of Modern Human Behaviour at site 8-B-11, Sai Island, Sudan. Journal of Human Evolution, 45: 187-193.
- Rich, J., Stokes, S., Wood, W. and Bailey, R.M. (2003) Optical dating of Tufa via in situ aeolian sand grains: a case example from the Southern High Plains, USA. Quaternary Science Reviews, 22: 1145-1152.
- Zhong-Ping, L., Stokes, S., Bailey, R.M., Fattahi, M. and Arnold, L. (2003) Infrared stimulated red luminescence from Chinese loess: basic observations. Quaternary Science Reviews, 22: 961-966.
- Stokes, S., Hetzel, R., Bailey, R.M. and Tao Mingxin (2003) Combined IRSL-OSL Single Aliquot Regeneration (SAR) Equivalent Dose (De) estimates from source proximal Chinese loess. Quaternary Science Reviews, 22: 975-983.
- Arnold, L., Stokes, S., Bailey, R.M., Fattahi, M., Colls, A. and Tucker, G. (2003) Optical dating of potassium feldspar using far-red (>665 nm) IRSL emissions: a comparative study using fluvial sediments from the Loire River, France. Quaternary Science Reviews, 22: 1093-1098.
- Ward, S., Bailey, R.M., Singarayer, J.S., Stokes, S., Goudie, A. and Bray, H. (2003) Optical dating of quartz from young samples and the effects of preheat temperature. Radiation Measurements, 37: 401-407.
- Singarayer J.S. and Bailey R.M. (2003) Further investigations of the quartz OSL components using the linearly modulated technique. Radiation Measurements, 37: 451-458.
- Bailey, R.M., Singarayer, J.S., Ward, S., Stokes, S. (2003) Identification of partial resetting using De as a function of illumination time. Radiation Measurements, 37, 511-518.
- Bailey, R.M., Bray, H. and Stokes, S. (2003) Inductively-Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) for dose rate determination: Some Guidelines for Sample Preparation and Analysis. Ancient TL, 21: 11-15.
- Bailey, R.M. (2003b) Paper II: The interpretation of measurement-time-dependent single-aliquot equivalent-dose estimates using predictions from a simple empirical model. Radiation Measurements, 37: 685-691.
- Bailey, R.M. (2003a) Paper I: The use of measurement-time dependent single-aliquot equivalent-dose estimates from quartz in the identification of incomplete signal resetting. Radiation Measurements, 37: 673-683.
- Thorp, M., Glanville, P., Stokes, S. and Bailey, R.M. (2002) Preliminary optical and radiocarbon age determinations for Upper Pleistocene alluvial sediments in the southern Anti Atlas mountains Morocco. Geoscience, 334: 903-908.
- Lai, Z., Arnold, L., Stokes, S., Bailey, R.M., Fattahi, M. (2002) Detection of Far-red IRSL from loess. Ancient TL, 20(2): 41-46.
- Bray H., Bailey, R.M. and Stokes, S. (2002) Quantification of cross-irradiation and cross-illumination using a Risø OSL-TL-DA15 reader. Radiation Measurements, 35: 275-280.
- Bailey, R.M. (2002) Simulations of variability in the luminescence characteristics of natural quartz and its implications for estimates of absorbed dose. Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 100(1-4): 33-38.
- Ingram, S., Stokes, S. and Bailey, R.M. (2001) Confirmation of backscattered beta dose enhancement rates based on single aliquot regeneration (SAR) analysis of quartz sand and silt. Ancient TL, 19(2): 51-54.
- Kuzmin, Y., Hall, S., Tite, M., Bailey, R.M., O'Malley, J. and Medvedev, V. (2001) Radiocarbon and thermoluminescence dating of the pottery from the early Neolithic site of Gasya (Russian far east): initial results. Quaternary Science Reviews, 20: 945-948.
- Bailey, R.M. (2001) Towards a general kinetic model for optically and thermally stimulated luminescence of quartz. Radiation Measurements, 33: 17-45.
- Bailey, R.M. (2000a) The interpretation of quartz optically stimulated luminescence equivalent dose versus time plots. Radiation Measurements, 32: 129-140.
- Bailey, R.M. (2000b) The slow component of quartz optically stimulated luminescence. Radiation Measurements, 32: 233-246.
- Bailey, R.M. (2000c) Circumventing possible inaccuracies of the single aliquot regeneration technique. Radiation Measurements, 32: 833-840.
- Bailey, R.M., Adamiec, G. and Rhodes, E.J. (2000) OSL properties of NaCl relevant to dating and dosimetry. Radiation Measurements, 32: 717-723.
- Pettitt, P.B. and Bailey, R.M. (2000) AMS radiocarbon and luminescence dating of Gorham's and Vanguard Caves, Gibraltar, and implications for the Middle to Upper Palaeolithic transition in Iberia. In, Stringer, C.B., Finlayson, C. and Barton, R.N.E. (eds.) Gibraltar and the Neanderthals. Gibraltar: Museum Publications.
- Singarayer J., Bailey, R.M. and Rhodes, E.J. (2000) Age determination using the slow component of quartz OSL. Radiation Measurements, 32: 873-880.
- Bailey, R.M. (1998) Depletion of the quartz OSL signal using low photon energy stimulation. Ancient TL, 16(2): 33-36.
- Bailey, R.M. (1997) Optical detrapping of charge from the 110°C PTTL trap. Ancient TL, 15: 7-10.
- Bailey, R.M., Smith, B.W., and Rhodes, E.J. (1997) Partial bleaching and the decay form characteristics of quartz OSL. Radiation Measurements, 27: 123-135.
- Rhodes, E.J. and Bailey, R.M. (1997) Thermal transfer effects observed in the luminescence of quartz from recent glaciofluvial sediments. Quaternary Geochronology (Quaternary Science Reviews), 16: 291-298.
- Owen, L.A., Mitchell, W.A., Bailey, R.M., Coxon, P. and Rhodes, E.J. (1997) Style and timing of glaciation in the Lahul Himalaya, northern India: a framework for reconstructing late Quaternary palaeoclimatic change in the western Himalayas. Journal of Quaternary Science, 12(2): 83-109.