Assessing the impacts of rewilding at the Knepp Estate, UK, using ensemble ecosystem and agent-based models
Member: CoHESyS lab; IUCN Commission on Ecosystem Management
Emily's research focusses on how we can provide a firm theoretical basis for recovering the health of degraded ecosystems. In collaboration with the Knepp Estate, she is currently developing quantitative models to assess the ecosystem-wide impacts of rewilding.
Emily holds a BA in Biology and Opera Performance from Vanderbilt University and an MSc in Biodiversity, Conservation, and Management from the University of Oxford. She previously worked on the Conservation Team at the Born Free Foundation, where she led projects to assess the threats to a population of elephants at the Babile Elephant Sanctuary, Ethiopia. Before this, she led a research site to study chimpanzee behaviour and tool-use at Monts de Cristal National Park, Gabon.
- Neil, E., Carrella, E. and Greengrass, E. (forthcoming) Predicting elephant extirpation at the Babile Elephant Sanctuary, Ethiopia, using approximate Bayesian computation..
- Neil, E. and Greengrass, E. (2021) Illegal settlement in the Babile Elephant Sanctuary is threatening the resident elephant population. Oryx.
- Boesch, C., Mundry, R., et al. (2020) Chimpanzee Ethnography Reveals Unexpected Cultural Diversity. Nature Human Behavior, 4: 910-916.
- Kalan, A., et al. (2020) Environmental variability supports chimpanzee behavioural diversity. Nature Ecology and Evolution, 11. 4451.
- Lau, W.W.Y., Shiran, Y., Bailey, R.M., et al. (2020) Evaluating scenarios toward zero plastic pollution. Science. eaba9475.
- Neil, E., Madsen, J., Carrella, E., Payette, N. and Bailey, R. (2020) Agent-based modelling for elephant poaching mitigation. Ecological Modelling, 427. 109054.
- Kühl, H., Boesch, C., et al. (2019) Inclusive chimpanzee conservation - Response. Science, 364(6445): 1040-1042.
- Kühl, H., Kalan, A., Boesch, C., et al. (2019) Human impact erodes chimpanzee behavioural diversity. Science, 363(6434): 1453-1455.
- Neil, E. (2017) A Record of the Marabou Stork, Leptoptilos crumeniferus, in Gabon. Malimbus, 39: 24-26.
- Neil, E. (2017) First Sighting of a Long-Tailed Hawk Attacking a Hammer-Headed Fruit Bat. African Journal of Ecology, 56(1): 131.
- Pauwels, O., Chirio, L., Neil, E., Berry, S., Texier, N. and Rosin, C. (2017) Miscellanea Herpetologica Gabonica VIII. Bulletin of the Chicago Herpetological Society, 52(3): 41-46.
- Neil, E. and Jongsma, G. (2016) New amphibian genus record for Gabon: Nyctibates corrugatus. Herpetological Review, 47(4): 623-624.