Understanding the dynamics of coupled human-environmental systems is one of the great challenges of our time.
This cluster brings together members of the School of Geography and the Environment who work on the interactions of human activities with natural systems, from the perspective of pure theoretical and scientific research, to policy, governance and practical applications in resource management, technology, water and food security water, energy, and more.
The following are examples of some of the projects and programmes currently underway within the cluster:
Diagram showing the related themes included within the Environmental Interactions research cluster
News and Research Highlights
- Adshead, D., Román García, O., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2021) Infrastructure strategies for achieving the global development agendas in small islands. Earth's Future.
- Alova, G., Trotter, P.A. and Money, A. (2021) A machine-learning approach to predicting Africa's electricity mix based on planned power plants and their chances of success. Nature Energy.
- Aggarwal, S., Larson, A., McDermott, C.L., Katila, P. and Giessen, L. (2021) Tenure reform for better forestry: An unfinished policy agenda. Forest Policy and Economics, 123. 102376.
- Aguirre-Gutiérrez, J., Rifai, S., Shenkin, A., Oliveras, I., Bentley, L.P., Svátek, M., Girardin, C.A.J., Both, S., Riutta, T., Berenguer, E., Kissling, W.D., Bauman, D., Raab, N., Moore, S., Farfan-Rios, W., Figueiredo, A.E.S., Reis, S.M., Ndong, J.E., Ondo, F.E., N'Ssi Bengone, N., Mihindou, V., Moraes de Seixas, M.M., Adu-Bredu, S., Abernethy, K., Asner, G.P., Barlow, J., Burslem, D.F.R.P., Coomes, D.A., Cernusak, L.A., Dargie, G.C., Enquist, B.J., Ewers, R.M., Ferreira, J., Jeffery, K.J., Joly, C.A., Lewis, S.L., Marimon-Junior, B.H., Martin, R.E., Morandi, P.S., Phillips, O.L., Quesada, C.A., Salinas, N., Schwantes Marimon, B., Silman, M., Teh, Y.A., White, L.J.T. and Malhi, Y. (2021) Pantropical modelling of canopy functional traits using Sentinel-2 remote sensing data. Remote Sensing of Environment, 252. 112122.
- Zurek, M., Hebinck, A. and Selomane, O. (2020) Looking across diverse food system futures: Implications for climate change and the environment. Q Open, 1(1). qoaa001.