Understanding the dynamics of coupled human-environmental systems is one of the great challenges of our time.
This cluster brings together members of the School of Geography and the Environment who work on the interactions of human activities with natural systems, from the perspective of pure theoretical and scientific research, to policy, governance and practical applications in resource management, technology, water and food security water, energy, and more.
The following are examples of some of the projects and programmes currently underway within the cluster:
Diagram showing the related themes included within the Environmental Interactions research cluster
News and Research Highlights
- Murgatroyd, A. and Hall, J.W. (2021) Regulation of freshwater use to restore ecosystems resilience. Climate Risk Management, 32. 100303.
- Khosla, R., et al. (2021) Climate Action Pathway: Net Zero cooling - Action table. The Carbon Trust
- Khosla, R., Agarwal, A., Sircar, N. and Chatterjee, D. (2021) The what, why, and how of changing cooling energy consumption in India's urban households. Environmental Research Letters, 16(4). 044035.
- Whitehead, P.G., Mimouni, Z., Butterfield, D., Bussi, G., Hossain, M.A., Peters, R., Shawal, S., Holdship, P., Rampley, C.P.N., Jin, L. and Ager, D. (2021) A New Multibranch Model for Metals in River Systems: Impacts and Control of Tannery Wastes in Bangladesh. Sustainability, 13(6): 3556.
- Brand, C., Dons, E., Anaya-Boig, E., Avila-Palencia, I., Clark, A., de Nazelle, A., Gascon, M., Gaupp-Berghausen, M., Gerike, R., Götschi, T., Iacorossi, F., Kahlmeier, S., Laeremans, M., Nieuwenhuijsen, M.J., Pablo Orjuela, J., Racioppi, F., Raser, E., Rojas-Rueda, D., Standaert, A., Stigell, E., Sulikova, S., Wegener, S. and Int Panis, L. (2021) The climate change mitigation effects of daily active travel in cities. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 93. 102764.