Understanding the dynamics of coupled human-environmental systems is one of the great challenges of our time.
This cluster brings together members of the School of Geography and the Environment who work on the interactions of human activities with natural systems, from the perspective of pure theoretical and scientific research, to policy, governance and practical applications in resource management, technology, water and food security water, energy, and more.
The following are examples of some of the projects and programmes currently underway within the cluster:
Diagram showing the related themes included within the Environmental Interactions research cluster
News and Research Highlights
- Bussi, G., Whitehead, P.G., Jin, L., Taye, M.T., Dyer, E., Hirpa, F.A., Yimer, Y.A. and Charles, K.J. (2021) Impacts of Climate Change and Population Growth on River Nutrient Loads in a Data Scarce Region: The Upper Awash River (Ethiopia). Sustainability, 13(3). 1254.
- Tysiachniouk, M., McDermott, C., Kulyasova, A., Teitelbaum, S. and Elbakidze, M. (2021) The politics of scale in global governance: Do more stringent international forest certification standards protect local rights in Russia? Forest Policy and Economics, 125. 102407.
- Guo, X., Chen, R., Thomas, D.S.G., Li, Q., Xia, Z. and Pan, P. (2021) Divergent processes and trends of desertification in Inner Mongolia and Mongolia. Land Degradation and Rehabilitation.
- Brand, C., Götschi, T., Dons, E., Gerike, R., Anaya-Boig, E., Avila-Palencia, I., de Nazelle, A., Gascon, M., Gaupp-Berghausen, M., Iacorossi, F., Kahlmeier, S., Int Panis, L., Racioppi, F., Rojas-Rueda, D., Standaert, A., Stigell, E., Sulikova, S., Wegener, S. and Nieuwenhuijsen, M.J. (2021) The climate change mitigation impacts of active travel: Evidence from a longitudinal panel study in seven European cities. Global Environmental Change, 67. 102224.
- Adshead, D., Román García, O., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2021) Infrastructure strategies for achieving the global development agendas in small islands. Earth's Future, 9(2).