Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Soubry, B. (2017) Food Systems and Climate Change in the Canadian Maritimes. ECI Policy Brief.
- Soubry, B. (2017) How Can Governments Support Adaptation to Climate Change by Small-Scale Farmers? A Case Study from the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford.
- Soubry, B. (2017) Comparing farmer observations and modelled projections of climate change in the Canadian Maritimes. Environmental Change Institute, Oxford.
- Enquist, B.J., Bentley, L.P., Shenkin, A., Maitner, B., Savage, V., Michaletz, S., Blonder, B., Buzzard, V., Espinoza, T.E.B., Farfan-Rios, W., Doughty, C.E., Goldsmith, G.R., Martin, R.E., Salinas, N., Silman, M., Diaz, S., Asner, G.P. and Malhi, Y. (2017) Assessing trait-based scaling theory in tropical forests spanning a broad temperature gradient. Global Ecology and Biogeographyaphy.
- Priess, J.A., Hauck, J., Haines-Young, R., Alkemade, R., Mandryk, M., Veerkamp, C., Gyorgyi, B., Dunford, R., Berry, P., Harrison, P., Dick, J., Keune, H., Kok, M., Kopperoinen, L., Lazarova, T., Maes, J., Pataki, G., Pataki, G., Preda, E., Schleyer, C. Gorg, C., Vadineanu, A. and Zulian, G. (2017) New EU-scale environmental scenarios until 2050 – Scenario process and initial scenario applications..