Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Hodgetts, T., Grenyer, R., Greenhough, B., McLeod, C., Dwyer, A. and Lorimer, J. (2018) The microbiome and its publics. EMBO reports.
- Punt, A.E., Okamoto, D.K.,MacCall, A.D., Shelton, A.O., Armitage, D.R., Cleary, J.S., Davies, I.P., Dressel, S.C., Francis, T.B., Levin, P.S., Jones, R.R., Kitka, H., Lee, L.Y., Mclsaac, J.A., Poe, M.R., Reifenstuhi, S., Silver, J.J., Schmidf, J.O., Thornton, T.F., Voss, R. and Woodruff, J. (2018) When are estimates of spawning stock biomass for small pelagic fishes improved by taking spatial structure into account? Fisheries Research, 206: 65-78.
- Thornton, T.F., Ma, Y., Lan, J. and Mangalagiu, D. (2018) Disruptive Innovation and Win-Win Strategies for the Sharing Mobility Economy..
- Woodall, L.C., Andradi-Brown, D.A., Brierley, A.S., Clark, M.R., Connelly, D., Hall, R.A., Howell, K.L., Huvenne, V.A.I., Linse, K., Ross, R.E., Snelgrove, P., Stefanoudis, P.V., Sutton, T.T., Taylor, M., Thornton, T.F. and Rogers, A.D. (2018) A Multidisciplinary Approach for Generating Globally Consistent Data on Mesophotic, Deep-Pelagic, and Bathyal Biological Communities. Oceanography.
- Bennett, A., Ravikumar, A. and Paltan, H. (2018) The Political Ecology of Oil Palm Company-Community partnerships in the Peruvian Amazon: Deforestation consequences of the privatization of rural development. World Development, 109: 29-41.