Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Cushman, S.A., Macdonald, E.A., Landguth, E.L., Malhi, Y. and Macdonald, D.W. (2017) Multiple-scale prediction of forest loss risk across Borneo. Landscape Ecology.
- Brzezina, N., Biely, K., Helfgott, A., Kopainsky, B., Vervoort, J. and Mathijs, E. (2017) Development of Organic Farming in Europe at the Crossroads: Looking for the Way Forward through System Archetypes Lenses. Sustainability, 9(5).
- Bastin, J-F., Berrahmouni, N., Grainger, A., Maniatis, D., Mollicone, D., Moore, R., Patriarca, C., Picard, N., Sparrow, B., Abraham, E.M., Aloui, K., Atesoglu, A., Attore, F., Bassüllü, C., Bey, A., Garzuglia, M., García-Montero, L.G., Groot, N., Guerin, G., Laestadius, L., Lowe, A.J., Mamane, B., Marchi, G., Patterson, P., Rezende, M., Ricci, S., Salcedo, I., Sanchez-Paus Diaz, A., Stolle, F., Surappaeva, V. and Castro, R. (2017) The extent of forest in dryland biomes. Science, 356(6338): 635-638.
- Raworth, K. (2017) A Doughnut for the Anthropocene: humanity's compass in the 21st century. The Lancet Planetary Health, 1(2): 48-49.
- Stark, J., Lehman, R., Crawford, L., Enquist, B., Blonder, B. (2017) Does environmental heterogeneity drive functional trait variation? A test in montane and alpine meadows. Oikos Sythesising Ecology.