Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Li, S., Juhász-Horváth, L., Pedde, S., Pinter, L., Rounsevell, M.D.A., Harrison, P.A. (2017) Integrated modelling of urban spatial development under uncertain climate futures: A case study in Hungary. Environmental Modelling and Software, 96: 251-264.
- McIntosh, E., Pressey, R.L., Lloyd, S., Smith, R. and Grenyer, R. (2017) The Impact of Systematic Conservation Planning. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 42.
- Blonder, B., Lamanna, C., Violle, V., Enquist, B. (2017) Using n-dimensional hypervolumes for species distribution modelling: A response to Qiao et al. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- Smith, A.C., Harrison, P.A., Pérez Soba, M., Archaux, F., Blicharska, M., Egoh, B.N., Eros, T., Fabrega Domenech, N., György, A.I., Haines-Young, R., Li, S., Lommelen, E., Meiresonne, L., Miguel Ayala, L., Mononen, L., Simpson, G., Stange, E., Turkelboom, F., Uiterwijk, M., Veerkamp, C.J. and Wyllie de Echeverria, V. (2017) How natural capital delivers ecosystem services: A typology derived from a systematic review. Ecosystem Services, 26: 111-126.
- Adenle, A.A., Ford, J.D., Morton, J., Twomlow, S., Alverson, K., Cattaneo, A., Cervigni, R., Kurukulasuriya, P., Huq, S., Helfgott, A. and Ebinger, J.O. (2017) Managing Climate Change Risks in Africa - A Global Perspective. Ecological Economics, 141: 190-201.