Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Buscardo, E., Nardoto, G., Luizão, F., Piedade, M.T.F., Schöngart, J., Wittmann, F., Doughty, C.E., Quesada, C.A. and Nagy, L. (2016) The Biogeochemistry of the Main Forest Vegetation Types in Amazonia. In, Nagy, L., Forsberg, B.R. and Artaxo, P. (eds.) Interactions Between Biosphere, Atmosphere and Human Land Use in the Amazon Basin. Springer. pp. 225-266. ISBN: 978-3-662-49900-9.
- Setyowati, A. and McDermott, C. (2016) Commodifying Legality? Who and What Counts as Legal in the Indonesian Wood Trade. Society and Natural Resources: 1-15.
- Comberti, C., Thornton, T. and Korodimou, M. (2016) Addressing Indigenous Peoples’ Marginalisation at International Climate Negotiations: Adaptation and resilience at the margins.
- Gutierrez, A. and Morgan, S. (2016) Impediments to fisheries sustainability – Coordination between public and private fisheries governance systems. Ocean and Coastal Management, 135: 79-92.
- Forbes, B.C., Kumpula, T., Meschtyb, N., Laptander, R., Macias-Fauria, M., Zetterberg, P., Verdonen, M., Skarin, A., Kim, K.Y., Boisvert, L.N., Stroeve, J.C. and Bartsch, A. (2016) Sea ice, rain-on-snow and tundra reindeer nomadism in Arctic Russia. Biology Letters, 12(11). 20160466.