Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Thornton, T.F. (2017) Coastal lakes and lagoons as dynamic sites of exchange among the Tlingit of Alaska. Maritime Studies, 16(4).
- Lee, J., Coomes, D., Schonlieb, C.B., Cai, A., Lellmann, J., Dalponte, M., Malhi, Y., Butt, N. and Morecroft, M. (2017) A graph cut approach to 3D tree delineation, using integrated airborne LiDAR and hyperspectral imagery. arXiv, 1701.06715.
- Clark, K.E., Hilton, R.G., West, A.J., Robles Caceres, A., Grocke, D.R., Marthews, T.R., Ferguson, R.I., Asner, G.P., New, M. and Malhi, Y. (2017) Erosion of organic carbon from the Andes and its affects on ecosystem carbon dioxide balance. Journal of Geophysical Research Biogeosciences.
- Hudson, L.N., Newbold, T., Contu, S. et al. (2017) The database of the PREDICTS (Projecting Responses of Ecological Diversity In Changing Terrestrial Systems) project. Ecology and Evolution, 7(1): 145-188.
- Mulyani, M. and Jepson, P. (2017) Does the ‘One Map Initiative’ Represent a New Path for Forest Mapping in Indonesia? Assessing the Contribution of the REDD+ Initiative in Effecting Forest Governance Reform. Forests, 8(1).