Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Menton, M. and Bennett, A. (2018) PES: Payments for Ecosystem Services and Poverty Alleviation? In, Schreckenberg, K., Mace, G. and Poudyal, M. (eds.) Ecosystem services and poverty alleviation: trade-offs and governance. Routledge, Abingdon, UK. pp. 189-203.
- Bennett, A. Ravikumar, A. and Cronkleton, P. (2018) The effects of rural development policy on land rights distribution and land use scenarios: The case of oil palm in the Peruvian Amazon. Land Use Policy, 70: 84-93.
- Correia, R.A., Jaric, I., Jepson, P., Malhado, A.C.M., Alves, J.A. and Ladle, R. (2018) Nomenclature instability in species culturomic assessments: Why synonyms matter. Ecological Indicators.
- Hirons, M., Mehrabi, Z., Gonfa, T.A., Morel, A., Gole, T.W., McDermott, C., Boyd, E., Robinson, E., Sheleme, D., Malhi, Y., Mason, J. and Norris, K. (2018) Pursuing climate resilient coffee in Ethiopia – A critical review. Geoforum, 91: 108-116.
- Tabara, J.D., Frantzeskaki, N., Holscher, K., Pedde, S., Kok, K., Lamperti, F., Christensen, J.H., Jager, J. and Berry, P. (2018) Positive tipping points in a rapidly warming world. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 31: 120-129.