Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- García-Llorente, M., Harrison, P., Berry, P., Palomo, I., Gómez-Baggethun, E., Iniesta-Arandia, I., Montes, C., García del Amo, D. and Martín-López, B. (2016) What can conservation strategies learn from the ecosystem services approach? Insights from ecosystem assessments in two Spanish protected areas. Biodiversity and Conservation.
- Mason-D'Croz, D., Vervoort, J., Palazzo, A., Islam, S., Lord, S., Helfgott, A., Havlík, P., Peou, R., Sassen, M., Veeger, M., van Soesbergen, A., Arnell, A.P., Stuch, B., Arslan, A. and Lipper, L. (2016) Multi-factor, multi-state, multi-model scenarios: Exploring food and climate futures for Southeast Asia. Environmental Modelling and Software, 83: 255-270.
- Stropp, J., Ladle, R.J., Malhado, A.C.M., Hortal, J., Gaffuri, J., Temperley, W.H., Skøien, J.O. and Mayaux, P. (2016) Mapping ignorance: 300 years of collecting flowering plants in Africa. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- Passos, C.V.B., Fabré, N.N., Malhado, A.C.M., Batista, V.S. and Ladle, R.J. (2016) Estuarization increases functional diversity of demersal fish assemblages in tropical coastal ecosystems. Journal of Fish Biology.
- Loranger, J., Blonder, B., Garnier, E., Shipley, B., Vile, D. and Violle, C. (2016) Occupancy and overlap in trait space along a successional gradient in Mediterranean old fields. American Journal of Botany.