Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- MacCall, A.D., Francis, T.B., Punt, A.E., Siple, M.C., Armitage, D.R., Cleary, J.S., Dressel, S.C., Jones, R.R., Kitka, H., Levin, S., McIsaac, J., Okamoto, D.K., Poe, M., Reifenstuhl, S., Schmidt, J.O., Shelton, A.O., Silver, J.J., Thornton, T.F., Voss, R. and Woodruf, J. (2018) A heuristic model of socially learned migration behaviour exhibits distinctive spatial and reproductive dynamics. ICES Journal of Marine Science.
- Ma, Y., Lan, J., Thornton, T., Mangalagiu, D. and Zhu, D. (2018) Challenges of Collaborative Governance in the Sharing Economy: The case of free-floating bike sharing in Shanghai. Journal of Cleaner Production.
- Vinya, R., Malhi, Y., Brown, N.D., Fisher, J.B., Bodribb, T. and Aragao, L.E.O.C. (2018) Seasonal changes in plant–water relations influence patterns of leaf display in Miombo woodlands: evidence of water conservative strategies. Tree Physiology.
- Jepson, P. (2018) Recoverable Earth: a twenty-first century environmental narrative. Ambio.
- Baker, H.S., Millar, R.J., Karoly, D.J., Beyerle, U., Guillod, B.P., Mitchell, D., Shiogama, H., Sparrow, S., Woolings, T. and Allen, M. (2018) Higher CO2 concentrations increase extreme event risk in a 1.5 °C world. Nature Climate Change.