Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Wanasuk, P. and Thornton, T.F. (2016) Aboriginal Tourism as Sustainable Social-Environmental Enterprise (SSEE): A Tlingit Case Study from Southeast Alaska. International Indigenous Policy Journal, 6(4).
- Palazzo, A., Rutting, L., Zougmoré, R., Vervoort, J.M., Havlik, P., Jalloh, A., Aubee, E., Helfgott, A.E.S., Mason-D’Croz, D., Islam, S., Ericksen, P.J., Segda, Z., Moussa, A.S., Bayala, J., Kadi-Kadi, H.A., Sibiry-Traoré, P.C. and Thornton, P.K. (2016) The future of food security, environments and livelihoods in Western Africa: Four socio-economic scenarios. CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)
- Rolla, U., Mittermeier, J.C., Diaz, G.I., Novosolov, M., Feldman, A., Itescu, Y., Meiri, S. and Grenyer, R. (2016) Using Wikipedia page views to explore the cultural importance of global reptiles. Biological Conservation.
- Suich, H. and Boardman, J. (2016) Wheat growing and changing farming systems in south african dryland margins: the case of the sneeuberg, south africa. Land Degradation and Development.
- Sova, C.A., Thornton, T.F., Zougmore, R., Helfgott, A. and Chaudhury, A.S. (2016) Power and influence mapping in Ghana's agricultural adaptation policy regime. Climate and Development.