Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Bouwma, I., Schleyer, C., Primmer, E., Winkler, K.J., Berry, P., Young, J., Carmen, E., Špulerová, J., Bezák, P., Preda, E. and Vadineanu, A. (2017) Adoption of the ecosystem services concept in EU policies. Ecosystem Services.
- Durigan, M.R. Cherubin, M.R., Barbosa de Camargo, P., Ferreira, J.N., Berenguer, E., Gardner, T.A., Barlow, J., Tadeu dos Santos Dias, C., Signor, D., Cosme de Oliveira Junior, R. and Pellegrino Cerri, C.E. (2017) Soil Organic Matter Responses to Anthropogenic Forest Disturbance and Land Use Change in the Eastern Brazilian Amazon. Sustainability, 9(3).
- Wu, M.S., Feakins, S.J., Martin, R.E., Martin, R.E., Shenkin, A., Patrick Bentley, L., Blonder, B., Salinas, N., Asner, G. (2017) Altitude effect on leaf wax carbon isotopic composition in humid tropical forests. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Boardman, J., Foster, I.D.L., Rowntree, K.M., Favis-Mortlock, D.T., Mol, L., Suich, H. and Gaynor, D. (2017) Long-term studies of land degradation in the Sneeuberg uplands, eastern Karoo, South Africa: A synthesis. Geomorphology.
- Correia, R., Bugalho, M., Franco, A. and Palmerim, J. (2017) Contribution of spatially explicit models to climate change adaptation and mitigation plans for a priority forest habitat. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change.