Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Hudson, L.N., Newbold, T., Contu, S. et al. (2017) The database of the PREDICTS (Projecting Responses of Ecological Diversity In Changing Terrestrial Systems) project. Ecology and Evolution, 7(1): 145-188.
- Mulyani, M. and Jepson, P. (2017) Does the ‘One Map Initiative’ Represent a New Path for Forest Mapping in Indonesia? Assessing the Contribution of the REDD+ Initiative in Effecting Forest Governance Reform. Forests, 8(1).
- Binney, H., Edwards, M., Macias-Fauria, M., Lozhkin, A., Anderson, P., Kaplan, J., Andreev, A., Bezrukova, E., Blyakharchuk, T., Jankovska, V., Khazhina, I., Krivonogov, S., Kremenetski, K., Nield, J., Novenko, E., Ryabogina, N., Solovieva, N., Willis, K. and Zernitskaya, V. (2017) Vegetation of Eurasia from the last glacial maximum to present: key biogeographic patterns. Quaternary Science Reviews, 157: 80-97.
- Li, S., Juhasz-Horvaith, L., Harrison, P., Pinter, L. and Rounsevell, M. (2017) Relating farmer's perceptions of climate change risk to adaptation behaviour in Hungary. Journal of Environmental Management, 185: 21-30.
- Borges, P.A.V., Gaspar, C., Crespo, L.C.F., Rigal, F., Cardoso, P., Pereira, F., Rego, C., Amorim, I.R., Melo, C., Aguiar, C., Andre, G., Mendonca, E.P., Ribeiro, S., Hortal, J., Santos, A.M.C., Barcelos, L., Enghoff, H., Mahnert, V., Pita, M.T., Ribes, J., Baz, A., Sousa, A.B., Vieira, V., Wunderlich, J., Parmakelis, A., Whittaker, R.J., Quartau, J.A., Serrano, A.R.M. and Triantis, K.A. (2016) New records and detailed distribution and abundance of selected arthropod species collected between 1999 and 2011 in Azorean native forests. Biodiversity Data Journal. e10948.