Visit the department, meet students and discover what it is like to study Geography at Oxford.
The School participates in the wider Oxford Open Days which take place on two days in late June/July and on one day in mid-September, and there is no need to book for these.
The dates for all the Open Days are posted early in the year on our website, along with other details.
"The range and scope of opportunities here are endless, and all staff of the School are incredibly passionate about both their field and bringing out the best of us as undergraduates."
Jiayin, Geography undergraduate
Department Open Day
2022 date to be confirmed
The School of Geography and the Environment usually holds a Department Open Day in June each year with events and information provided for prospective undergraduate students. The date for the Department Open Day in 2022 is yet to be confirmed.
Please note that the Department Open Day is for prospective applicants only - we are unable to accommodate parents and guardians in the department, however they are of course welcome to explore the city while they wait for you. Parents and guardians are permitted to attend the University Open Days. Please contact us if you have any specific requirements or concerns regarding this.
If you are interested in attending a University Open Day please see the University web pages for undergraduate admissions .
Booking is now open and will close on Friday 30 May 2019. If you are interested in attending the event, please complete the online form below which will be returned to the organisers.
Booking will open on 1 May 2020.-->
If you are interested in attending an open day please see the Oxford Open Days for more information. If you are unable to attend please let us know by emailing our Access and Outreach Officer so that we can offer your place to another.
If you are interested in attending a University open day please see the Oxford Open Days for more information.
Book your place at the Department Open Day on Monday 17 June 2019
You can also contact our Access and Outreach Officer for more information on our departmental open days.
What to expect at a Departmental Open Day …
For a preview of what to expect on a Departmental Open Day, please see the following information.
Provisional programme for 2022
|10:40 - 11:10||Doors open: Registration and Refreshments|
|11:20 - 11:30||Welcome talk|
|11:30 - 12:10||Physical geography taster lecture|
|12:10 - 12:50||Introduction to the Geography Course and Admissions at Oxford, Q&A session|
Prof Derek McCormack, Admissions Coordinator
|12:50 - 14:30||Lunch: Students are taken to colleges for lunch by current undergraduates|
|14:30 - 15:10||Human geography taster lecture|
Also available on the day:
- A poster display and university prospectuses will be available throughout the day
- The departmental librarian will be available with information on readings and the library
- Current undergraduates for you to speak with and ask questions to
- Services and online resources from 10.40 - 11.10
Video: Intro from Head of School: What Makes Geography Special? (Prof Gillian Rose) - Virtual Open Day 2021
You can watch this video and several more from the 2021 virtual open day on our Virtual Open Day 2021 playlist on YouTube.
Past Open Day Taster Lectures
- Listen to Professor Gillian Rose's 2019 Open Day talk: What are the geographies of your smartphone, and why do they matter?
- View the presentation of What are the geographies of your smartphone, and why do they matter? from the 2019 Open Day
- Listen to Professor Heather Viles' 2017 Open Day talk: Geography and Heritage: from Oxford to the Silk Road
- View the presentation of Geography and Heritage: from Oxford to the Silk Road from the 2017 Open Day
- Listen to Dr Alex Vasudevan's 2017 Open Day talk: What a city is for: Confessions of an urban geographer
- View the presentation of What a city is for: Confessions of an urban geographer from the 2017 Open Day
Oxford Open Days
29 June - 30 June and 16 September 2022
The School of Geography and the Environment participates in the University's Oxford Open Days.
Tours of the Geography section of the Bodleian Library will be available all day.
School of Geography and the Environment Open Day Programme
- Department open for visitors from 10am - 3pm.
- 10.00: Information desk opens. Current students, course information and prospectuses will be available throughout the day.
- 10.45 - 11.45: Geography at Oxford talk, Halford MacKinder Lecture Theatre.
Oxford Open Days provide a perfect opportunity to visit the colleges of University of Oxford. Please see the open day guide for college events posted on the Oxford Open Days website.
Please follow @OxOutreach on Twitter for the latest news and information about Oxford Open Days. Got an open days question? Get in touch using #OxOpenDays!