Image: Eleanor Thomson
Image: Eleanor Thomson

Graduate admissions guidance

Choosing a College

In order to obtain a graduate place at Oxford, as well as being accepted by the School of Geography and the Environment, a college must also accept you.

On the graduate application form, you may choose to either (i) indicate a college preference or (ii) indicate that you have no college preference, in which case a college will be selected on your behalf. You will not be able to amend your choice after submitting your application. Whether or not you state a college preference will not affect how your department assesses your application and ultimately whether or not they decide to make you an offer.

There are a wide range of colleges in Oxford. They range from the old, traditional colleges with a mix of undergraduates and postgraduates to newer, more informal colleges some of which are only for graduates. Some colleges are large with 300 or more graduate students; others are smaller with only 100 graduate students. Some colleges are located in the centre of Oxford within walking distance of the School of Geography and the Environment, whilst others are a cycle-ride away.

Information on choosing a college can be found on the University's Choosing a college webpage. Students must check the University admissions pages to find out whether a college is accepting students for their chosen course.

We hope the following supplementary information will help students applying to study for a graduate degree with the School of Geography and the Environment find the college that is right for them.

We suggest you consider the following questions when researching colleges:

  1. Would you prefer a college which retains old traditions (e.g. high-table, wearing gowns at mealtime) or a newer college with less formality?
  2. Would you prefer a graduate-only college or would you like to be part of a graduate community within a larger undergraduate group?
  3. Are you looking for a college that can provide accommodation within the college (rare), in a college-owned house, or do you require accommodation for you and your partner?
  4. Will you be looking for a small grant to help finance expenses associated with your dissertation research? (Not all colleges can offer this so it's worth looking up which ones do.)
  5. Are you looking for a college with a strong sporting culture and facilities?

University graduate housing

The University lets and manages rooms, flats and houses on sites owned by the University in and around the city centre which are available for graduate students. Please see the University's Graduate Accommodation webpages for more information.

Visa and immigration

The University's Student Immigration Service provide visa and immigration information to new applicants and to current students studying at Oxford.

Where can I get more information?

If you have any questions about the University's application process you are strongly advised to contact the University of Oxford Graduate Admissions Office, tel: +44 (0)1865 270059, or by e-mail: taking particular care to follow the instructions in the automatic reply, in the first instance.

If you have any further questions that have not been answered by the information provided above then please contact graduate enquiries at the School of Geography and the Environment.