Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Putiamini, S., Mulyani, M., Petala, M.P., Soesilo, T.E.B. and Karsidia, A. (2022) Social vulnerability of coastal fish farming community to tidal (Rob) flooding: a case study from Indramayu, Indonesia. Journal of Coastal Conservation, 26(2). 115.
- Hasibuan, H. S. and Mulyani, M. (2022) Transit-Oriented Development: Towards Achieving Sustainable Transport and Urban Development in Jakarta Metropolitan, Indonesia. Sustainability, 14(9). 5244.
- Martin, A.C., Assmann, J.J., Bradshaw, R.H.W., Kuoppamaa, M., Kuosmanen, N.I., Normand, S., Speed, J.D.M. and Macias-Fauria, M. (2022) What evidence exists for temporal variability in Arctic terrestrial and freshwater biodiversity throughout the Holocene? A systematic map protocol. Environ Evid, 11(13).
- Hole, G.M., Sinclair, D. and Macias-Fauria, M. (2022) Dropped in the Ocean - 87Sr/86Sr as a provenance tool for ice-rafted Arctic driftwood. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 590. 110856.
- Malhi, Y., Lander, T., le Roux, E., Stevens, N., Macias-Fauria, M., Wedding, L., Girardin, C., Kristensen, J.A., Sandom, C.J., Evans, T.D., Svenning, J.C. and Canney, S. (2022) The role of large wild animals in climate change mitigation and adaptation. Current Biology, 32(4). R181-R195.