Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Seddon, N., Turner, B., Berry, P., Chausson, A. and Girardin, C.A.J. (2019) Grounding nature-based climate solutions in sound biodiversity science. Nature Climate Change: 82-87.
- Whitfiedl, S. Beauchamp, E., Boyd, D.S., Burslem, D., Byg, A., Colledge, F., Cutler, M.E.J., Bidena, M., Dougill, A., Foody, G., Godbold, J.A., Hazenbosch, M., Hirons, M., Speranza, C.I., Jew, E., Lacambra, C., Mkwambisi, D., Moges, A., Morel, A., Morris, R., Novo, P., Rueda, M., Smith, H., Solan, M., Spencer, T., Thornton, A., Touza, J. and White, P.C.L. (2019) Exploring temporality in socio-ecological resilience through experiences of the 2015-16 El Nino across the Tropics. Global Environmental Change, 55.
- Coals, P., Burnham, D., Loveridge, A., Macdonald, D.W., 't Sas-Rolfes, M., Williams, V.L. and Vucetich, J.A. (2019) The Ethics of Human–Animal Relationships and Public Discourse: A Case Study of Lions Bred for Their Bones. Animals, 9(2).
- Priess, J.A., Hauck, J., Haines-Young, R., Alkemade, R., Mandryk, M., Veerkamp, C.J., Bela, G. Berry, P., Dunford, R., Harrison, P., Keune, H., Kok, M., Kopperoinen, L., Maes, J., Pataki, G., Preda, E., Schleyer, C., Vadineanu, A., Aulian, G. (2019) New EU-Level Scenarios on the Future of Ecosystem Services. In, Atlas of Ecosystem Services. . pp. 135-140.
- Rubis, J.M. and Thierault, N. (2019) Concealing protocols: conservation, Indigenous survivance, and the dilemmas of visibility. Social and Cultural Geography.