Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Anand, M. and Mulyani, M. (2020) Advancing 'Environmental Subjectivity' in the realm of neoliberal forest governance: Conservation subject creation in the Lokkere Reserve Forest, India. Geoforum, 110: 106-115.
- Maguire-Rajpaul, V.A., Khatun, K. and Hirons, M.A. (2020) Agricultural information's impact on the adaptive capacity of Ghana's smallholder cocoa farmers. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 4(28).
- Asaaga, F.A., Hirons, M.A. and Malhi, Y. (2020) Questioning the link between tenure security and sustainable land management in cocoa landscapes in Ghana. World Development, 130. 104913.
- Maryudi, A., Acheampong, E., Rutt, R.L., Myers, R. and McDermott, C.L. (2020) "A level playing field?" - What an environmental justice lens can tell us about who gets levelled in the Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade Action Plan. Society and Natural Resources, 3(1).
- Mora-Soto, A., Palacios, M., Macaya, E.C., Gómez, I., Huovinen, P., Pérez-Matus, A., Young, M., Golding, N., Toro, M., Yaqub, M. and Macias-Fauria, M. (2020) A High-Resolution Global Map of Giant Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) Forests and Intertidal Green Algae (Ulvophyceae) with Sentinel-2 Imagery. Remote Sensing, 12(4). 694.