Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Gvozdevaite, A., Oliveras, I., Domingues, T.F., Peprah, T., Boakye, M., Afriyie, L., Peixoto da Silva, K., de Farias, J., Almeida de Oliveira, E., Farias, C.C.A., Prestes, N.C.C., Neyret, M., Moore, S., Marimon, B.S., Junior, B.H., Adu-Bredu, S. and Malhi, Y. (2018) Leaf-level photosynthetic capacity dynamics in relation to soil and foliar nutrients along forest–savanna boundaries in Ghana and Brazil. Tree Physiology, tpy117.
- Antohi-Trandafir, O., Timar-Gabor, A., Vulpoi, A., Balc, R., Longman, J., Veres, D. and Simon, S. (2018) Luminescence properties of natural muscovite relevant to optical dating of contaminated quartz samples. Radiation Measurements, 109: 1-7.
- Longman, J., Veres, D., Ersek, V., Phillips, D.L., Chauvel, C. and Tamas, C.G. (2018) Quantitative assessment of Pb sources in isotopic mixtures using a Bayesian mixing model. Scientific Reports, 8(6154).
- Longman, J. Veres, D. Finsinger, W. and Ersek, V. (2018) Exceptionally high levels of lead pollution in the Balkans from the Early Bronze Age to the Industrial Revolution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 201721546.
- Longman, J., Veres, D. and Wennrich, V. (2018) Utilisation of XRF core scanning on peat and other highly organic sediments. Quaternary International.