Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Tshwene-Mauchaza, B. and Aguirre-Gutierrez, J. (2019) Climatic drivers of plant species distributions across spatial grains in Southern Africa tropical forests. Frontiers in Forests and Global Change, 2(69).
- Dadson, S.J., Paltan Lopez, H., Peng, J. and Vora, S. (2019) Hydroclimatic Extremes and Climate Change. Chapter 2 in, Dadson, S.J., Garrick, D.E., Penning-Rowsell, E.C., Hall, J.W., Hope, R. and Hughes, J. (eds.) Water Science, Policy, and Management: A Global Challenge. John Wiley and Sons Ltd. pp. 11-28. ISBN: 9781119520603.
- Lorimer, J., Hodgetts, T., Grenyer, R., Greenhough, B., McLeod, C. and Dwyer, A. (2019) Making the microbiome public: Participatory experiments with DNA sequencing in domestic kitchens. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 44(3): 524-541.
- Shenkin, A., Bentley, L.P., Oliveras, I., Salinas, N., Adu-Bredu, S., Marimon, B.H., Marimon, B., Peprah, T., Lopez Choque, E., Rodriguez, L.T., Arenas, E.R.C., Adonteng, C., Seidu, J., Passos, F.B., Reis, S.M., Blonder, B., Silman, M., Enquist, B.J., Asner, G.P. and Malhi, Y. (2019) The Influence of Ecosystem and Phylogeny on Tropical Tree Crown Size and Shape. bioRxiv: 1-36.
- Sheldon, F.H., Lim, H.C., Benham, P.M., Brady, M.L., Brown, C.E., Burner, R.C., Chua, V.L., Mittermeier, J.C., Shakaya, S.B., Van Els, P., Rahman, M.A., Gawin, D.F., Rahim, Z.A., Setia, L.D. and Moyle, R. (2019) Ornithological expeditions to Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, 2007–2017. Occasional Papers of the Museum of Natural Science, Louisiana State University, 90: 1-11.