Watch Prof Yadvinder Malhi provide an overview of the Biodiversity, Ecosystems and Conservation research cluster at the SEED 2015 event.
Members of this research cluster work on both scientific and social scientific dimensions of the functioning of ecological and biogeographical systems, with principal interests in macroecology, island biogeography, diversity theory, ecosystem dynamics, conservation biogeography, conservation governance, biodiversity and climate adaptation and conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.
Our principal themes of interest are:
|Biodiversity:||macroecology; island biogeography; diversity theory; in which areas our work involves multi-scale ecological and evolutionary approaches to understanding patterns in biodiversity.|
|Ecosystems:||ecosystem dynamics; understanding what makes contemporary ecosystems; and how they may be affected by direct human pressures and global atmospheric change.|
|Conservation:||conservation biogeography; conservation governance; biodiversity and climate adaptation; conservation and traditional ecological knowledge.|
News and Research Highlights
- Aragao, L.E.O.C., Anderson, L.O., Fonseca, M.G., Rosan, T.M., Vedovato, L.B., Wagner, F.H., Silva, C.V.J., Silva Junior, C.H.L., Arai, E., Aguiar, A.P., Barlow, J., Berenguer, E., Deeter, M.N., Domingues, L.G., Gatti, L., Gloor, M., Malhi, Y., Marengo, J.A., Miller, J.B., Phillips, O.L. Saatchi, S. (2020) 21st Century drought-related fires counteract the decline of Amazon deforestation carbon emissions. Nature Communications, 9(536).
- Huang, J., Li, W., Guo, L., Hu, X. and Hall, J.W. (2020) Renewable energy and household economy in rural China. Renewable Energy, 155: 669-676.
- Fenn, K., Durcan, J.A., Thomas, D.S.G. and Banak, A. (2020) A 180 ka record of environmental change at Erdut (Croatia): a new chronology for the loess-palaeosol sequence and its implications for environmental interpretation. Journal of Quaternary Science, 35(4): 582-593.
- Coghlan, C., Labrecque, J., Ma, Y. and Dubé, L. (2020) A Biological Adaptability Approach to Innovation for Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs): Strategic Insights From and For Health-Promoting Agri-Food Innovation. Sustainability, 12(10).
- Franca, F.M., Ferreira, J., Vaz de Mello, F.Z., Maia, L.F., Berenguer, E., Ferraz Palmeira, A., Fadini, R., Louzada, J., Braga, R., Oliveira, V.H. and Barlow, J. (2020) El Nino impacts on human modified tropical forests: Consequences for dung beetle diversity and associated ecological processes. Biotropica, 52(2): 252-262.