Tonny is working on his DPhil degree at the Smith School of Enterprise and Environment. He investigates sustainable pathways for delivering affordable electricity in low-income countries for rural economic development. Specifically, he focuses on business model innovation in the energy sector, and energy service delivery mechanisms to achieve multiple Sustainable Development Goals and build resilient systems. Previously, Tonny has worked with the Regions of Climate Action (R20), Low Carbon Energy Development Network, National University of Lesotho and MicroEnergy International in the areas of international development, climate change mitigation, energy and innovation. Before joining the University of Oxford as a PhD student, he completed an International Climate Protection Research Fellowship funded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation at the Technical University of Berlin. He holds a Masters in Energy Engineering from the Pan African University Institute of Water and Energy Sciences, Algeria and a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering from Makerere University, Uganda.
- Budzianowski, W. M., Kukeera, T., Bamutura, C., Rwema, M., Lyambai, M., Abimana, C., ... & Diab, M. S. H. (2018). Business models and innovativeness of potential renewable energy projects in Africa. Renewable Energy, 123, 162-190. doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.02.039
- Mboowa, D., Quereshi, S., Bhattacharjee, C., Tonny, K., & Dutta, S. (2017). Qualitative determination of energy potential and methane generation from municipal solid waste (MSW) in Dhanbad (India). Energy, 123, 386-391. doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.02.009
- Kukeera, T., Kebir, N., Pelz, S. and Groh, S., Communicating energy consumption: developing a low-cost, real-time, SMS feedback tool for off-grid household electricity consumption. In Sustainable Fuel Technologies Handbook (pp. 409-429). Academic Press.
- Nwadiaru, O.V., Kukeera, T. and Ebanehita, D., 2020. Enabling solar photovoltaics penetration in highly dependent African fossil fuel markets. In Sustainable Fuel Technologies Handbook (pp. 173-198). Academic Press.
- Muceka, R., Kukeera, T., Alokore, Y., Noara, K. and Groh, S., 2018, January. Integrating a Solar PV System with a Household Based Backup Generator for Hybrid Swarm Electrification: A Case Study of Nigeria. In Africa-EU Renewable Energy Research and Innovation Symposium (pp. 43-58). Springer, Cham.
- Stritzke, S. and Kukeera, T. (2021) Project 'Mumuni Singani': A Blueprint for Clean Energy Provision and Sustainable Development in Rural Zambia.