A new tool for energy and environmental valuation to improve decision making for capital deployment of climate-resilient infrastructure
Jimmy is a DPhil Candidate studying the metric systems of climate and finance in order to improve decision making of capital deployment for investing in climate-resilient infrastructure. His interest is in tracking the flow of energy and carbon through financial transactions and seeing how they accumulate into assets and liabilities on the balance sheet. He is focused on capital intensive sectors, such as water and power, to help understand the value of assets towards achieving climate goals.
He sits on the board of the Center for Sustainable Energy, a San Diego-based non-profit that administers electric vehicle and solar programs across the United States. He also is the ESG Venture Partner at PiLabs, Europe's largest and most active PropTech VC company. He received his BS and MS in Material Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MBA from the University of Oxford.
- Jia, J. and Dickinson, R. (2021) If Everything's Connected, where do you begin? In, Starik, M. and Kanashiro, P. (eds.) Personal Sustainability Practices: Faculty Approaches to Walking the Sustainability Talk and Living the UN SDGs. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham UK.
- Besharov, M., Joshi, R., Vaara, E., West, D., Fanaian, S., Jia, J. and Ma, V. (2021) The Decisive Decade: Organising Climate Action - Catalytic Collaboration for Systems Change. Saïd Business School, Oxford.
Recent Videos and Podcasts
- Jia, J. (2020) Levers for Change Podcast: Interviews with Cleantech leaders on impactful actions.
- Jia, J. (2019) Corporate Energy Strategies to Thrive in a Decarbonized World. Energy and Environment Management Institute, George Washington University.
- Jia, J. (2017) Changing the way we look at energy and power. IDE Thailand.
- Jia, J. (2017) Briefing No. 2017-B0023 How Climate Change is Impacted by Solid Waste Policy. Committee of the Whole, King County Council.
- Jia, J. (2016) How energy gets its power. MIT Enterprise Forum Northwest and Town Hall Seattle.
Recent Blog Posts
- Jia, J. (2020) Opportunity Knocks: An Alignment of Finance and Climate Concerns. CleanTech Alliance.
- Jia, J. (2019) Turning the lens around: Using energy co-benefits as a prioritization tool. GreenBiz Nov 14, 2019.
- Jia, J. (2018) Innovations in taxes: Using carbon pricing to Grow Economic Value. CleanTech Alliance.
- Jia, J. (2016) Companies That Don't Manage Utilities Strategically Are Throwing Away Money, Harvard Business Review Online.
- Jia, J. (2015) Changing the Energy Conversation, Conscious Company Magazine.