Simon Dadson is an Associate Professor in Physical Geography and a Fellow of Christ Church. Simon's research focuses on the processes that link climate, hydrology, and geomorphology. These links range from the potential impacts of future climate change on river flows, to the study of how continental-scale weather patterns have influenced the development of mountain topography over the past few million years. Prior to arriving at the School of Geography and Environment, Simon was a Senior Environmental Modeller at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Wallingford where he remains a CEH Fellow.
Associate Professor in Physical Geography
- Fellow of Christ Church, Oxford
- Academic Director, MSc in Water Science Policy and Management
- Member of the Climate Systems and Policy research cluster
- Member of the Landscape Dynamics research cluster
- Tel: +44 (0)1865 275866
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected Research Projects
- REACH: Improving water security for the poor
Financial support from DFID (2015-2022; Co-I).
- Future Resilience for African CiTies And Lands (FRACTAL)
Financial support from Natural Environment Research Council (2015-2019).
- Influence of lake and wetland climate feedbacks on African hydroclimate
Financial support from The Leverhulme Trust (2015-2018).
- MaRIUS: Managing the Risks, Impacts and Uncertainties of droughts and water Scarcity
Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2014-2017; Co-I).
- Changes in urbanisation and its effects on water quantity and quality from local to regional scale.
Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2013-2016)
- Attributing impacts of external climate drivers on extreme weather in Africa.
Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2013-2018).
- Piloting innovative computational technologies for multi-scale water resources assessment, management and engineering.
Financial support from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (2012-2013).
- Changing Land-Atmosphere Feedbacks in Tropical African Wetlands
Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2011-2014).
- Impacts of Climate Change on Soil Erosion, Sediment Transport and Carbon in the UK and Europe.
In collaboration with University of Leeds and University of Exeter; Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2007-2010).
- Effects of Climate Change on Snow Hydrology in the Alps.
In collaboration with Technische Universität, Wien; Financial support from the British Council (2007-2008).
- Wetland Inundation Dynamics in the JULES land-surface Model.
Financial support from European Commission, WATCH (2007-2009)
- Grid-based River Flow Modelling for Application in a Regional Climate Model.
Financial support from Met Office (2005-2010)
- Erosion of an Active Mountain Belt: Erosion, Runoff variability, and Seismicity in Taiwan.
Financial support from NERC; Royal Society; Geological Society of America; NASA (2000-2004)
Simon teaches physical geography at Christ Church.
Current Graduate Research Students
The global impact of droughts on agricultural production
Climate Scenarios for Water Security in Developing Regions
|Homero Paltan Lopez|
Sensitivity of freshwater to climate variability
Pathways to Water Security: Evaluating the impacts of irrigation investments in Madhya Pradesh, India
- Bussi, G., Janes, V., Whitehead, P.G., Dadson, S.J. and Holman, I.P. (2017) Dynamic response of land use and river nutrient concentration to long-term climatic changes. Science of the Total Environment, 590-591: 818-831.
- Dadson, S., Hall, J.W., Garrick, D., Sadoff, C., Grey, D. and Whittington, D. (2017) Water security, risk, and economic growth: Insights from a dynamical systems model. Water Resources Research.
- Dadson, S., Hall, J.W., Murgatroyd, A., Acreman, M., Bates, P., Beven, K., Heathwaite, A.L., Holden, J., Holman, I.P., Lane, S.N., O'Connell, E., Penning-Rowsell, E., Reynard, N., Sear, D., Thorne, C. and Wilby, R. (2017) A restatement of the natural science evidence concerning catchment-based 'natural' flood management in the UK. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473(2199): 1-19.
- Dadson, S.J. (2017) Statistical Analysis of Geographical Data: An Introduction. Wiley. pp. 264. ISBN: 978-0-470-97703-3.
- Gaupp, F., Pflug, G., Hochrainer-Stingler, S.,Hall, J. and Dadson, S. (2017) Dependency of crop production between global breadbaskets: a copula approach for the assessment of global and regional risk pools. Risk Analysis.
- Hutchins, M., McGrane, S., Miller, J., Hagen-Zanker, A., Kjeldsen, T., Dadson, S. and Rowland, C. (2017) Integrated modeling in urban hydrology: reviewing the role of monitoring technology in overcoming the issue of ‘big data’ requirements. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, 4(1).
- Bussi, G., Dadson, S.J., Bowes, M.J. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) Seasonal and interannual changes in sediment transport identified through sediment rating curves. Journal of Hydrological Engineering, 22(2).
- Bussi, G., Dadson, S.J., Prudhomme, C. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) Modelling the future impacts of climate and land-use change on suspended sediment transport in the River Thames (UK). Journal of Hydrology, 542: 357-372.
- Bussi, G., Whitehead, P.G., Bowes, M.J., Read, D.S., Prudhomme, C. and Dadson, S.J. (2016) Impacts of climate change, land-use change and phosphorus reduction on phytoplankton in the River Thames (UK). Science of The Total Environment, 572: 1507-1519.
- Wheeler, K.G., Basheer, M., Mekonnen, Z.T., Eltoum, S.O., Mersha, A., Abdo, G.M., Zagona, E.A., Hall, J.W. and Dadson, S.J. (2016) Cooperative filling approaches for the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam. Water International, 41(4): 611-634.
- Gaupp, F., Hall, J. and Dadson, S. (2015) The role of storage capacity in coping with intra- and inter-annual water variability in large river basins. Environmental Research Letters, 10(12): 125001-125012.
- Marthews, T., Otto, F.E.L., Mitchell, D., Dadson, S.J. and Jones, G. (2015) The 2014 drought in the Horn of Africa: Attribution of meteorological drivers. In, Explaining Extreme Events of 2014: From a Climate Perspective. Special Supplement to the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society Vol 96, No 12, December 2015. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. pp. 83-88.
- Marthews, T.R., Dadson, S.J., Lehner, B., Abele, S. and Gedney, N. (2015) High-resolution global topographic index values for use in large-scale hydrological modelling. Hydrological and Earth System Sciences, 19: 91-104.
- Sadoff, C.W., Hall, J.W., Grey, D., Aerts, J.C.J.H., Ait-Kadi, M., Brown, C., Cox, A., Dadson, S., Garrick, D., Kelman, J., McCornick, P., Ringler, C., Rosegrant, M., Whittington, D. and Wiberg, D. (2015) Securing Water, Sustaining Growth: Report of the GWP/OECD Task Force on Water Security and Sustainable Growth. University of Oxford, UK. 180 pp. ISBN: 978-1-874370-55-0.
- Whitehead, P.G., Bussi, G., Bowes, M.J., Read, D.S., Elliott, J.A. and Dadson, S.J. (2015) Dynamic modelling of multiple phytoplankton groups in rivers with an application to the Thames river system in the UK. Environmental Modelling and Software, 74: 75-91.
- Hall, J.W., Grey, D., Garrick, D., Fung, F., Brown, C., Dadson, S.J. and Sadoff, C.W. (2014) Water Security: Coping with the curse of freshwater variability. Science, 346(6208): 429-430.
- Dadson, S., Acreman, M. and Harding, R. (2013) Water security, global change and land–atmosphere feedbacks. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 371(20120412).
- Hall, J., Grey, D., Garrick, D., Dadson, S. and Hope, R. (2013) Preface. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 371(2002): 1-2. This is one article from the Theme Issue ‘Water security, risk and society’.
- Lafon, T., Dadson, S., Buys, G. and Prudhomme, C. (2012) Bias correction of daily precipitation simulated by a regional climate model: a comparison of methods. International Journal of Climatology, 33(6): 1367-1381.
- Prudhomme, C., Dadson, S., Morris, D., Williamson, J., Goodsell, G., Crooks, S., Boelee, L., Davies, H., Buys, G., Lafon, T. and Watts, G. (2012) Future Flows Climate: an ensemble of 1-km climate change projections for hydrological application in Great Britain. Earth System Science Data, 4: 143-148.
- Dadson, S.J., Bell, V.A. and Jones, R.G. (2011) Evaluation of a grid-based river flow model configured for use in a regional climate model. Journal of Hydrology, 411(3-4): 238-250.
- Hovius, N., Meunier, P., Lin, C-W., Chen, H., Chen, Y-G., Dadson, S., Horng, M-J. and Lines, M. (2011) Prolonged seismically induced erosion and the mass balance of a large earthquake. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 304(3-4): 347-355.
- Prudhomme, C., Young, A., Watts, G., Haxton, T., Crooks, S., Williamson, J., Davies, H., Dadson, S. and Allen, S. (2011) The drying up of Britain? A national estimate of changes in seasonal river flows from 11 Regional Climate Model simulations. Hydrological Processes, 26(7): 1115-1118.
- Dadson, S.J. (2010) Geomorphology and Earth system science. Progress in Physical Geography, 34(3): 385-398.
- Dadson, S.J., Ashpole, I., Harris, P., Davies, H.N., Clark, D.B., Blyth, E. and Taylor, C.M. (2010) Wetland inundation dynamics in a model of land-surface climate: evaluation in the Niger inland delta region. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115(D23114).
- Parajka, J., Dadson, S.J., Lafon, T. and Essery, R. (2010) Evaluation of snow cover and depth simulated by a land surface model using detailed regional snow observations from Austria. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115(D24117).
- Turowski, J.M., Rickenmann, D. and Dadson, S.J. (2010) The partitioning of the total sediment load of a river into suspended load and bedload: a review of empirical data. Sedimentology. Sedimentology, 57: 1126-1146.
- Slaymaker, O., Spencer, T. and Dadson, S. (2009) Landscape and landscape scale processes as the unfilled niche in the global environmental change debate: an introduction. Chapter 1 in, Slaymaker, O., Spencer, T. and Embleton-Hamann, C. (eds.) Geomorphology and Global Environmental Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. pp. 1-36. ISBN: 9780521878128.
- Lin, G.W., Chen, H., Hovius, N., Horng, M.J., Dadson, S., Meunier, P. and Lines, M. (2008) Effects of earthquake and cyclone sequencing on landsliding and fluvial sediment transfer in a mountain catchment. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33(9): 1354-1373.
- Chen, H., Dadson, S.J. and Chi, Y.G. (2006) Recent rainfall-induced landslides and debris flows in northern Taiwan. Geomorphology, 77: 112-125.
- Galewsky, J., Stark, C.P., Dadson, S.J., Wu, C.C., Sobel, A.H. and Horng, M.J. (2006) Tropical cyclone triggering of sediment discharge in Taiwan. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(F03014).
- Dadson, S.J. and Church, M.A. (2005) Post-glacial evolution of glaciated valleys: A stochastic landscape evolution model. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 30(11): 1387-1403.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Pegg, S.A., Dade, W.B., Horng, M.J. and Chen, H. (2005) Hyperpycnal sediment delivery from the Taiwan mountain belt to the ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110(4). F4, F04016.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Chen, H., Dade, B., Lin, J.C., Hsu, M.L., Lin, C.W., Horng, M.J., Chen, T.C., Milliman, J. and Stark, C.P. (2004) Earthquake-triggered increase in sediment delivery from an active mountain belt. Geology, 32(8): 733-736.
- Hovius, N., Lague, D. and Dadson, S.J. (2004) Processes, rates and patterns of mountain belt erosion. In, Owens, P.N. and Slaymaker, O. (eds.) Mountain Geomorphology. Edward Arnold.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Chen, H., Dade, B., Hsieh, M.L., Willett, S.D., Hu, J.C., Horng, M.J., Chen, M.C., Stark, C.P., Lague, D. and Lin, J.C. (2003) Links between erosion, runoff variability and seismicity in the Taiwan orogen. Nature, 426: 648-651.