Dr Simon Dadson
- University Lecturer in Physical Geography
- Fellow of Christ Church, Oxford
- Academic Director, MSc in Water Science Policy and Management
- Member of the Climate Systems and Policy research cluster
- Member of the Landscape Dynamics research cluster
- Tel: +44 (0)1865 275866
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon Dadson is a University Lecturer in Physical Geography and a Fellow of Christ Church. Simon's research focuses on the processes that link climate, hydrology, and geomorphology. These links range from the potential impacts of future climate change on river flows, to the study of how continental-scale weather patterns have influenced the development of mountain topography over the past few million years. Prior to arriving at the School of Geography and Environment, Simon was a Senior Environmental Modeller at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Wallingford where he remains a CEH Fellow.
Selected Research Projects (since 2001)
- Changing Land-Atmosphere Feedbacks in Tropical African Wetlands. Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2011-2014).
- Impacts of Climate Change on Soil Erosion, Sediment Transport and Carbon in the UK and Europe. In collaboration with University of Leeds and University of Exeter; Financial support from the Natural Environment Research Council (2007-2010).
- Effects of Climate Change on Snow Hydrology in the Alps. In collaboration with Technische Universitšt, Wien; Financial support from the British Council (2007-2008).
- Wetland Inundation Dynamics in the JULES land-surface Model. Financial support from European Commission, WATCH (2007-2009)
- Grid-based River Flow Modelling for Application in a Regional Climate Model. Financial support from Met Office (2005-2010).
- Erosion of an Active Mountain Belt: Erosion, Runoff variability, and Seismicity in Taiwan. Financial support from NERC; Royal Society; Geological Society of America; NASA (2000-2004).
Simon teaches physical geography at Christ Church.
- Lafon, T., Dadson, S., Buys, G. and Prudhomme, C. (2012) Bias correction of daily precipitation simulated by a regional climate model: a comparison of methods. International Journal of Climatology.
- Prudhomme, C., Dadson, S., Morris, D., Williamson, J., Goodsell, G., Crooks, S., Boelee, L., Davies, H., Buys, G., Lafon, T. and Watts, G. (2012) Future Flows Climate: an ensemble of 1-km climate change projections for hydrological application in Great Britain. Earth System Science Data, 4: 143-148.
- Prudhomme, C., Young, A., Watts, G., Haxton, T., Crooks, S., Williamson, J., Davies, H., Dadson, S. and Allen, S. (2011) The drying up of Britain? A national estimate of changes in seasonal river flows from 11 Regional Climate Model simulations. Hydrological Processes.
- Dadson, S.J., Bell, V.A. and Jones, R.G. (2011) Evaluation of a grid-based river flow model configured for use in a regional climate model. Journal of Hydrology, 411(3-4): 238-250.
- Hovius, N., Meunier, P., Lin, C-W., Chen, H., Chen, Y-G., Dadson, S., Horng, M-J. and Lines, M. (2011) Prolonged seismically induced erosion and the mass balance of a large earthquake. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 304(3-4): 347-355.
- Dadson, S.J., Ashpole, I., Harris, P., Davies, H.N., Clark, D.B., Blyth, E. and Taylor, C.M. (2010) Wetland inundation dynamics in a model of land-surface climate: evaluation in the Niger inland delta region. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, D23114.
- Dadson, S.J. (2010) Geomorphology and earth system science. Progress in Physical Geography, 34: 385-398.
- Turowski, J.M., Rickenmann, D. and Dadson, S.J. (2010) The partitioning of the total sediment load of a river into suspended load and bedload: a review of empirical data. Sedimentology, 57: 1126-1146.
- Parajka, J., Dadson, S.J., Lafon, T. and Essery, R. (2010) Evaluation of snow cover and depth simulated by a land surface model using detailed regional snow observations from Austria. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115: D24117.
- Slaymaker, O., Spencer, T. and Dadson, S.J. (2009) Landscape, and landscape-scale processes as the unfilled niche in the global environmental change debate: an introduction. In, Slaymaker, O., Spencer, T. and Embleton-Hamann, C. (eds.) Geomorphology and Global Environmental Change. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Lin, G.-W., Chen, H., Hovius, N., Horng, M.J., Dadson, S.J., Meunier, P. and Lines, M. (2008) Effects of earthquake and cyclone sequencing on landsliding and fluvial sediment transfer in a mountain catchment. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33: 1354-1373.
- Chen, H., Dadson, S.J., and Chi, Y.G. (2006) Recent rainfall-induced landslides and debris flows in northern Taiwan. Geomorphology, 77: 112-125.
- Galewsky, J., Stark, C.P., Dadson, S.J., Wu, C.C., Sobel, A.H., and Horng, M.J. (2006) Tropical cyclone triggering of sediment discharge in Taiwan. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111: F03014.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Pegg, S.A., Dade, W.B., Horng, M.J., and Chen, H. (2005) Hyperpycnal sediment delivery from the Taiwan mountain belt to the ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, No. F4, F04016.
- Dadson, S.J., and Church, M.A. (2005) Post-glacial evolution of glaciated valleys: A stochastic landscape evolution model. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 30(11): 1387-1403.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Chen, H., Dade, B., Lin, J.C., Hsu, M.L., Lin, C.W., Horng, M.J., Chen, T.C., Milliman, J., and Stark, C.P. (2004) Earthquake-triggered increase in sediment delivery from an active mountain belt. Geology, 32(8): 733-736.
- Hovius, N., Lague, D., and Dadson, S.J. (2004) Processes, rates, and patterns of mountain belt erosion. In, Owens, P.N., and Slaymaker, O. (eds.) Mountain Geomorphology. Arnold.
- Dadson, S.J., Hovius, N., Chen, H., Dade, B., Hsieh, M.L., Willett, S.D., Hu, J.C., Horng, M.J., Chen, M.C., Stark, C.P., Lague, D., and Lin, J.C. (2003) Links between erosion, runoff variability and seismicity in the Taiwan orogen. Nature, 426: 648-651.