Janey joined the School of Geography and the Environment in December 2016, with a joint appointment in the School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies. She has a BA (Geography, 2005) from the University of California, Los Angeles, an MS (Geography, 2008) from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a PhD (Geography, 2011) from the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill. Her doctoral research focused on the geography and epidemiology of HIV, malaria, and anaemia in the Democratic Republic of Congo. At UNC, Janey was also a trainee at the Carolina Population Center, where she received formal training in demographic and epidemiological methods.
Janey has been at the University of Oxford since 2012, where she previously worked as a senior postdoctoral researcher with the Spatial Epidemiology and Ecology Group in the Department of Zoology. She coordinated the group's contribution to the International Research Consortium on Dengue Risk Assessment, Management and Surveillance, focusing her research on global patterns and drivers of dengue virus transmission, as well as potential changes in the landscape and epidemiology of the disease resulting from factors such as urbanisation, climate change and economic shifts. In addition to this primary research, Janey led or contributed to research projects relating to the geography of several other diseases, including Zika virus, Leishmaniasis, Plasmodium vivax malaria, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, and Hepatitis C virus.
Collaboration and communication with researchers in an array of external fields are central to Janey's research, which is highly interdisciplinary in nature. Her interests lie primarily in the following areas:
- Health geography
- Spatial epidemiology of infectious diseases
- The application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and quantitative analysis to public health and social science research questions
- Population-environment interactions, particularly in developing countries
Janey's teaching focuses on social science research methods, teaching quantitative methods to students in both the School of Geography and the Environment and the School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies.
- Pigott, D.M., Deshpande, A., Letourneau, I., Morozoff, C., Reiner Jr, R.C., Kraemer, M.U.G., Brent, S.E., Bogoch, I.I., Khan, D., Biehl, M.H., Burstein, R., Earl, L., Fullman, N., Messina, J.P., Mylne, A.Q.N., Moyes, C.L., Shearer, F.M., Bhatt, S., Brady, O.J., Gething, P.W., Weiss, D.J., Tatem, A.J., Caley, L., Groeve, T.D., Vernaccini, L., Golding, N., Horby, P., Kuhn, J.H., Laney, S.J., Ng, E., Piot, P., Sandoh, O., Murray, C.J.L. and Hay, S.I. (2017) Local, national, and regional viral haemorrhagic fever pandemic potential in Africa: a multistage analysis. The Lancet.
- Sigfrid, L., Reusken, C., Eckerle, I., Nussenblatt, V., Lipworth, S., Messina, J., Kraemer, M., Ergonul, O., Papa, A., Koopmans, M. and Hornby, P. (2017) Preparing clinicians for (re-) emerging arbovirus infectious diseases in Europe. Clinical Microbiology and Infection.
- Messina, J.P., Kraemer, M.U.G., Brady, O.J., Pigott, D.M., Shearer, F.M., Weiss, D.J., Golding, N., Ruktanonchai, C.W., Gething, P.W., Cohn, E., Brownstein, J.S., Khan, K., Tatem, A.J., Jaenisch, T., Murray, C.J.L., Marinho, F., Scott, T.W. and Hay, S.I. (2016) Mapping global environmental suitability for Zika virus. eLife, 5. e15272.
- Messina, J.P., Brady, O.J., Golding, N., Pigott, D.M., Kraemer, M.U.G., Scott, T.W., Wint, G.R.W., Smith, D.L. and Hay, S.I. (2015) The many projected futures of dengue. Nature Reviews Microbiology, 13(4): 230-239.
- Messina, J.P., Humphreys, I., Flaxman, A., Brown, A., Cooke, G.S., Pybus, O.G. and Barnes, E. (2015) The global distribution and prevalence of HCV genotypes. Hepatology, 61(1): 77-87.
- Messina, J.P., Pigott, D.M., Golding, N., Duda, K.A., Brownstein, J.S., Gething, P.W., Myers, M.F., George, D.B. and Hay, S.I. (2015) The global distribution of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 109(8): 503-513.
- Messina, J.P., Brady, O.J., Zhou, C., Pigott, D.M., Duda, K., Bhatt, S., Katzelnick, L., Simmons, C.P. and Hay, S.I. (2014) Global spread of dengue virus types: mapping the 70 year history. Trends in Microbiology, 22(3).
- Bhatt, S. Gething, P.W., Brady, O.J., Messina, J.P., Farlow, A.W., Moyes, C.L., Drake, J.M., Brownstein, J.S., Hoen, A.G., Sankoh, O., Myers, M.F., George, D.B., Jaenisch, T., William Wint, G.R., Simmons, C.P., Scott, T.W., Farrar, J.J. and Hay, S.I. (2013) The global distribution and burden of dengue. Nature, 496: 504-507.
- Messina, J.P., Mwandagalirwa, K., Taylor, S.M., Emch, M. and Meshnick, S.R. (2013) Spatial and social factors drive anemia in Congolese women. Health and Place, 24: 54-64.
- Brady, O.J., Gething, P.W., Bhatt, S., Messina, J.P., Brownstein, J.S., Hoen, A.G., Moyes, C.L., Farlow, A.W., Scott, T.W. and Hay, S.I. (2012) Refining the global spatial limits of dengue virus transmission by evidence-based consensus. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 6(8). e1760.
- Messina, J.P., Taylor, S.M., Meshnick, S.R., Linke, A., Tshefu, A.K., Atua, B., Mwandagalirwa, K. and Emch, M. (2011) Population, behavioral and environmental drivers of malaria prevalence in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Malaria Journal, 10. 161.
- Messina, J.P., Emch, M., Muwonga, J., Mwandagalirwa, K., Edidi, S.B., Mama, N., Okenge, A. and Meshnick, S.R. (2010) Spatial and socio-behavioral patterns of HIV prevalence in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Social Science and Medicine, 71(8): 1428-1435.