Staff: Researchers and Programme Leaders
Dr Jian Peng
- Tel: +44 (0)1865 285524
- Email: email@example.com
Jian Peng is a senior researcher in the School of Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford. He gained a Ph.D. in earth science from Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M). Before joining the University of Oxford, he was a research scientist at the University of Munich (LMU) and a post-doc researcher at MPI-M.
His research interests are the quantitative retrieval of land surface parameters from remote sensing data, the assimilation of remote sensing data into climate and land surface process models, understanding land-atmosphere interactions using earth system models and observational data, and quantification of climate change impact on water resources. His research in particular focuses on estimation of high-resolution land surface water and energy fluxes from satellite observations, and the investigation of hydrological and climatic extremes as well as their impacts on vegetation.
He acts as a reviewer for more than 25 international journals in the fields of remote sensing, hydrology, meteorology and geography, and has reviewed grants for several international bodies.
Impact and Outreach
Selected Research Projects
Earth Observation for Flood and Drought Resilience in Ethiopia and Kenya
UK Space Agency International Partnership Programme (2016-2019)
MULTIscale SENTINEL land surface information retrieval Platform
European Commission (2016-2020)
Exploitation of S-1 for Surface Soil Moisture Retrieval at High Resolution
European Space Agency (2016-2018)
Quality assurance for Essential Climate variables (QA4ECV)
European Commission (2014-2018)
Monitoring Water and Energy Cycles at Climate Scale in the Third Pole Environment (CLIMATE-TPE)
European Space Agency (2016-2020)
Cluster of Excellence Integrated Climate System Analysis and Prediction (CliSAP)
German Research Foundation (2012-2017)
ESA climate change initiative: climate modelling user group (CMUG-phase2)
European Space Agency (2014-2017)
- Peng, J., Kharbouche, S., Muller, J.P., Danne, O., Blessing, S., Giering, R., Gobron, N., Ludwig, R., Müller, B., Leng, G., Lees, T. and Dadson, S. (2019) Influences of leaf area index and albedo on estimating energy fluxes with HOLAPS framework. Journal of Hydrology.
- Zhang, X., Su, Z., Lv, J., Liu, W., Ma, M., Peng, J. and Leng, G. (2019) A Set of Satellite-Based Near Real-Time Meteorological Drought Monitoring Data over China. Remote Sensing, 11(4): 453.
- Wang, Y., Peng, J., Song, X., Leng, P., Ludwig R. and Loew, A. (2018) Surface soil moisture retrieval using optical/thermal infrared remote sensing data. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 56(9): 5433-5442.
- Xie, Y., Huang, S., Liu, S., Leng, G., Peng, J. Huang, Q. and Li, P. (2018) GRACE-based terrestrial water storage in Northwest China: Changes and causes. Remote Sensing, 10(7): 1163.
- Xie, Y., Huang, S., Liu, S., Leng, G., Peng, J., Huang, Q. and Li, P. (2018) Erratum: Xie, Y.Y.; et al. GRACE-Based Terrestrial Water Storage in Northwest China: Changes and Causes. Remote Sens. 2018, 10, 1163. Remote Sensing, 10(8): 1301.
- Zhou, Q., Leng, G. and Peng, J. (2018) Recent Changes in the Occurrences and Damages of Floods and Droughts in the United States. Water, 10.
- Dadson, S.J., Paltan Lopez, H., Peng, J. and Vora, S. (2019) Hydroclimatic Extremes and Climate Change. Chapter 2 in, Dadson, S.J., Garrick, D.E., Penning-Rowsell, E.C., Hall, J.W., Hope, R. and Hughes, J. (eds.) Water Science, Policy, and Management: A Global Challenge. John Wiley and Sons Ltd. pp. 11-28. ISBN: 9781119520603.
- Peng, J., Loew, A. and Crueger, T. (2017) The relationship between the Madden-Julian Oscillation and the land surface soil moisture, Remote Sensing of Environment, 203:226-239, 2017.
- Peng, J., Loew, A., Merlin, O. and Verhoest, N. (2017) A review of methods for downscaling remotely sensed soil moisture, Reviews of Geophysics, 55:341-366, 2017.
- Peng, J., Loew, A. (2017) Recent advances in soil moisture estimation from remote sensing, Water, 9,530.
- Peng, J., Blessing, S., Giering R., Müller B., Gobron N., Nightingale J., Boersma. F, Muller J-P. (2017) Quality-assured long-term satellite-based leaf area index product, Global change biology, 23(12):5027-5028.
- Song, X., Wang, Y., Tang, B., Leng, P., Chuan, S., Peng, J., Loew, A. (2017) Estimation of Land Surface Temperature Using FengYun-2E (FY-2E) Data: A Case Study of the Source Area of the Yellow River, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 10(8):3744-3751.
- Peng, J., Loew, A., Chen, X., Ma, Y. and Su, Z. (2016) Comparison of satellite based evapotranspiration estimates over the Tibetan Plateau, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 20(8):3167-3182.
- Loew, A., Peng, J. and Borsche, M. (2016) High resolution land surface fluxes from satellite data (HOLAPS v1.0): evaluation and uncertainty assessment, Geoscientific Model Development, 9(7):2499-2532.
- Peng, J., Loew, A., Zhang, S., Wang, J. and Niesel, J. (2016) Spatial Downscaling of Satellite Soil Moisture Data Using a Vegetation Temperature Condition Index, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 54(1):558-566.
- Peng, J., Niesel, J., Loew, A., Zhang, S. and Wang, J. (2015) Evaluation of Satellite and Reanalysis Soil Moisture Products over Southwest China Using Ground-Based Measurements, Remote Sensing, 7(11):5729-15747.
- Peng, J., Niesel, J. and Loew, A. (2015) Evaluation of soil moisture downscaling using a simple thermal based proxy - the REMEDHUS network (Spain) example, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 19(12): 4765-4782.
- Peng, J., Loew, A. (2014) Evaluation of Daytime Evaporative Fraction from MODIS TOA Radiances Using FLUXNET Observations, Remote Sensing, 6(7):5959-5975.
- Peng, J., Liu, Y. Zhao, X. and Loew, A. (2013) Estimation of evapotranspiration from MODIS TOA radiances in the Poyang Lake basin, China, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17(4):1431-1444.
- Peng, J., Liu, Y. and Loew, A. (2013) Uncertainties in Estimating Normalized Difference Temperature Index From TOA Radiances, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 51(5):2487-2497.
- Peng, J., Borsche, M., Liu, Y. and Loew, A. (2013) How representative are instantaneous evaporative fraction measurements of daytime fluxes?, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17(10):3913-3919.
- Liu, Y. B., Song, P., Peng, J. and Ye, C. (2012) A physical explanation of the variation in threshold for delineating terrestrial water surfaces from multi-temporal images: effects of radiometric correction, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(18):5862-5875.