Helen Lawton Smith is the Professor of Entrepreneurship and Assistant Dean at the School of Management and Organisational Psychology, Birkbeck, London University. She was previously a Reader in Local Economic Development at the Centre for Local Economic Development, Coventry University, and Research Director at the Regulatory Policy Research Centre, Hertford College, Oxford University. She is an Academician of the Academy of Learned Society for the Social Sciences, a Member of Council and member of the Events and Nominations committees.
She is the Founder and Director of Research at the Oxfordshire Economic Observatory, a Research Associate at the Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge, and a Senior Visiting Research Associate of the School of Geography and the Environment. Her research interests are in the geography and management of innovation. She is the author of two books on technology transfer, the editor of seven books and has published over sixty journal articles and book chapters.
Publications are those that were listed on the old website. Publications database integration forthcoming.
- Hilpert, U. and Lawton Smith, H. (eds.) (2012) Networking Regionalised Innovative Labour Markets. Routledge. pp. 206. ISBN: 978-0-415-68356-2.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2006) Universities, Innovation and the Economy. Routledge.
- Bagchi-Sen, S. and Lawton Smith, H. (2006) Economic Geography: Past, Present and Future. London, New York: Routledge. pp 206.
- Abraham, J. and Lawton Smith, H. (eds.) (2003) Regulation of the Pharmaceutical Industry Palgrave.
- Lawton Smith, H. (ed.) (2002) Regulation of Science and Technology Macmillan Press.
- Preston, J., Lawton Smith, H., and Starkie, D. (2000) An Integrated Transport Policy? Ashgate Publishing.
- Bradshaw, B., and Lawton Smith, H. (eds.) (2000) Privatisation and Deregulation in Transport. Macmillan Press.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2000) Technology Transfer and Industrial Change in Europe. Macmillan Press
- Jasinski, P. and Lawton Smith, H. (eds.) (1999) The Evolution of Environmental Regulation. Ashgate Publishing.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Woodward, N. (eds.) (1996) Energy and Environment Regulation. Macmillan Press.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Bagchi-Sen, S. (2012) The research university, entrepreneurship and regional development: Research propositions and current evidence. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 24(5-6): 383-404.
- Lawton Smith, H., Romeo, S. and Virahsawmy, M. (2012) Business and professional networks: scope and outcomes in Oxfordshire. Environment and Planning, 44(8): 1801-1818.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2011) Imprese ad alta tecnologia, università e sviluppo nella regione di Oxford (High technology entrepreneurship, universities and the development of the Oxford city-region). Stato e Mercato, 3: 451-478.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Waters, R. (2011) Scientific labour markets, networks and regional innovation systems. Regional Studies, 45(7): 961-976.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Bagchi-Sen, S. (2010) Triple helix and regional development: a perspective from Oxfordshire in the UK. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 22(7): 805-818.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2009) Skill Shortages, Demographic Aging, and Training Implications for Skill-Based Economies. Professional Geographer, 61(1): 59-69.
- Lawton Smith, H., Romeo, S. and Bagchi-Sen, S. (2008) Oxfordshire Biomedical University Spin-offs: An Evolving System. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 1(2): 303-319.
- Bagchi-Sen, S. and Lawton Smith, H. (2008) Science, Institutions, and Markets: Developments in the Indian Biotechnology Sector. Regional Studies 42(7): 961–975.
- Vorley, T., and Lawton-Smith, H. (2007) Universities and the knowledge based economy. Environment and Planning C, 25(6): 775-778.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2007) Universities, Innovation and territorial development: A review of the evidence. Environment and Planning C, 25(1): 98-114.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Ho, K.W. (2006) Measuring the performance of Oxfordshire's spin-off companies. Research Policy, 35(10): 1554-1568.
- Glasson, J., Chadwick, A. and Lawton Smith, H. (2006) Defining, explaining and managing high-tech growth: The case of Oxfordshire. European Planning Studies, 14(4): 503-524.
- Lawton Smith, H., Glasson, J., and Chadwick, A. (2005) The geography of talent: entrepreneurship and local economic development in Oxfordshire. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 17: 449-476.
- Lawton Smith, H. and Waters, R. (2005) Rates of Turnover in High-technology Agglomerations: Knowledge Transfer in Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire. Area, 37(2): 189-198.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2005) Regulating Science and Technology: The Case of the UK Biotechnology Industry. Law & Policy, 27: 189-212.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2005) The Biotechnology industry in Oxfordshire: enterprise and innovation. European Planning Studies, 12(7): 985-1002.
- Bagchi-Sen, S., Lawton Smith, H. and Hall, L. (2004) The U.S. Biotechnology Industry - Policy and Practice. Environment and Planning C, 22, 2.
- Tracey, P., Clark, G.L. and Lawton Smith, H. (2004) Cognition, learning and European regional growth: a agent-centred perspective on the "new" economy". Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 13(1): 1-18.
- Lawton Smith, H., Tracey, P. and Clark, G.L. (2003) European Policy and the Regions: A Review and Analysis of Tensions. European Planning Studies 11(7): 859-873.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2012) The health technologies sector in the Thames Valley: evolution or optimism in regional development? Chapter 6 in, Cooke, P. (ed.) Re-framing Regional Development: Evolution, Innovation and Transition. Routledge. 392 pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-68646-4.
- Waters, R. and Lawton Smith, H. (2012) High Technology Local Economies: geographical mobility of the highly skilled. Chapter 5 in, Hilpert, U. and Lawton Smith, H. (eds.) Networking Regionalised Innovative Labour Markets. Routledge. 206 pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-68356-2.
- Lawton Smith, H. (2011) Stimulating regional innovation and entrepreneurship: the UK policy framework. Chapter 3 in, Mian, S.A. (ed.) Science and Technology Based Regional Entrepreneurship: Global experience in policy and program development. Edward-Elgar. pp. 74-95. ISBN: 978-1-84720-390-8.
- Lawton Smith, H., and Glasson, J (2005) Public Research High-tech Spin-offs: Measuring Performance and growth in Oxfordshire. Oxford: Oxfordshire Economic Observatory.
- Lawton Smith, H., Glasson, J., Simmie, J., Chadwick, A. and Clark, G.L. (2003a) Enterprising Oxford: The Growth of the Oxfordshire High-Tech Economy. Oxfordshire Economic Observatory.
- Chadwick, A., Glasson, J., Lawton Smith, H., Clark, G.L. and Simmie, J. (2003b) Enterprising Oxford: The Growth of the Oxfordshire High-Tech Economy. Oxfordshire Economic Observatory.