Gianbattista Bussi is an honorary research assistant at the School of Geography and the Environment of the University of Oxford. From 2014 to 2016 he has been a postdoctoral research assistant at School of Geography and the Environment, working with Dr Simon Dadson and Prof. Paul Whitehead. He obtained his BSc and MSc in Environmental Engineering at the University of Brescia (Italy). He also holds a PhD degree in Water and Environmental Engineering from the Technical University of Valencia (Spain). He is also working on flood hazard mapping and flood risk assessment at RED Pavia, Italy.
Honorary Research Associate
- Member of the Oxford Water Network
- Member of the Landscape Dynamics research cluster
Gianbattista's main research interests include hydrological and water quality modelling at the catchment scale and the analysis of land-use and climate change impact on water quantity and quality, as well as on soil erosion and sediment transport. He is also working on flood hazard mapping and flood risk assessment.
- Bussi, G., Janes, V., Whitehead, P.G., Dadson, S.J. and Holman, I.P. (2017) Dynamic response of land use and river nutrient concentration to long-term climatic changes. Science of the Total Environment.
- Herrero, A., Buendia, C., Bussi, G., Sabater, S., Vericat, D., Palau, A. and Batalla, R. (2017) Modeling the sedimentary response of a large Pyrenean basin to global change. Journal of Soils and Sediments.
- Lu, Q., Whitehead, P.G., Bussi, G., Futter, M.N. and Nizzetto, L. (2017) Modelling metaldehyde in freshwater systems: case study of the River Thames. Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts.
- Bussi, G., Dadson, S.J., Bowes, M.J. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) Seasonal and interannual changes in sediment transport identified through sediment rating curves. Journal of Hydrological Engineering, 22(2).
- Bussi, G., Dadson, S.J., Prudhomme, C. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) Modelling the future impacts of climate and land-use change on suspended sediment transport in the River Thames (UK). Journal of Hydrology, 542: 357-372.
- Bussi, G., Whitehead, P.G., Bowes, M.J., Read, D.S., Prudhomme, C. and Dadson, S.J. (2016) Impacts of climate change, land-use change and phosphorus reduction on phytoplankton in the River Thames (UK). Science of the Total Environment, 572: 1507-1519.
- Lu, Q., Futter, M.N., Nizzetto, L., Bussi, G., Jürgens, M.D. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) Fate and transport of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in the River Thames catchment - insights from a coupled multimedia fate and hydrobiogeochemical transport model. Science of the Total Environment, 572: 1461-1470.
- McGrane, S., Hutchins, M., Miller, J., Bussi, G., Kjeldsen, T. and Loewenthal, M. (2016) During a winter of storms in a small UK catchment, hydrology and water quality responses follow a clear rural-urban gradient. Journal of Hydrology, 545: 463-477.
- Nizzetto, L., Bussi, G., Futter, M., Butterfield, D. and Whitehead, P.G. (2016) A theoretical assessment of microplastic transport in river catchments and their retention by soils and river sediments. Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, 18: 1050-1059.
- Ruhí, A., Muñoz, I., Tornés, E., Batalla, R.J., Vericat, D., Ponsatí, L., Acuña, V., von Schiller, D., Marcé, R., Bussi., G., Francés, F. and Sabater, S. (2016) Flow regulation increases food-chain length through omnivory mechanisms in a Mediterranean river network. Freshwater Biology, 61(9): 1536-1549.
- Segura-Beltrán, F., Sanchís-Ibor, C., Morales-Hernández, M., González-Sanchis, M., Bussi, G. and Ortíz, E. (2016) Using post-flood surveys and geomorphologic mapping to validate hydrological and hydraulic, models: the flash flood of the Girona River (Spain) in 2007. Journal of Hydrology, 541(A): 310-329.
- Vaezi, A.R., Abbasi, M., Bussi, G. and Keesstra, S. (2016) Modeling sediment yield in semi-arid pasture micro-catchments, NW Iran. Land Degradation and Development.
- Whitehead, P.G., Leckie, H., Rankinen, K., Butterfield, D., Futter, M.N. and Bussi, G. (2016) An INCA Model for Pathogens in Rivers and Catchments: Model Structure, Sensitivity Analysis and Application to the River Thames Catchment. Science of the Total Environment, 572: 1601-1610.
- Buendia, C., Bussi, G., Tuset, J., Vericat, D., Palau, A., Sabater, S. and Batalla, R.J. (2015) Effects of afforestation on water and sediment load in an upland Mediterranean catchment. Science of the Total Environment, 540: 144-157.
- Rodriguez-Lloveras, X., Bussi, G., Francés, F., Rodriguez-Caballero, E., Solé-Benet, A., Calle, M. and Benito, G. (2015) Patterns of runoff and sediment production in response to land-use changes in an ungauged catchment. Journal of Hydrology, 551(3): 1054-1066.
- Whitehead, P.G., Bussi, G., Bowes, M.J., Read, D.S., Elliott, J.A. and Dadson, S.J. (2015) Dynamic modelling of multiple phytoplankton groups in rivers with an application to the Thames river system in the UK. Environmental Modelling and Software, 74: 75-91.
- Ruiz-Villanueva, V., Stoffel, M., Bussi, G., Francés, F. and Brethaut, C. (2014) Climate change impacts on discharges of the Rhone River in Lyon by the end of the twenty-first century: model results and implications. Regional Environmental Change, 15(3): 505-515.
- Bussi, G., Francés, F., Horel, E., López-Tarazón, J.A. and Batalla, R.J. (2014) Modelling the impact of climate change on sediment yield in a highly erodible Mediterranean catchment. Journal of Soils and Sediments, 14(12): 1921-1937.
- Bussi, G., Francés, F., Montoya, J.J. and Julien, P. (2014) Distributed sediment yield modelling: importance of initial sediment conditions. Environmental Modelling and Software, 58: 58-70.
- Bussi, G., Rodríguez-Lloveras, X., Francés, F., Benito, G., Sánchez-Moya, Y. and Sopeña, A. (2013) Sediment yield model implementation based on check dam infill stratigraphy in a semi-arid Mediterranean catchment. Hydrology and Earth System Science, 17: 3339-3354.
- Bussi, G. (2014) Implementation of a distributed sediment model in different data availability scenarios. Editorial Universitat Politècnica de València.
- Rodríguez, X., Bussi, G., Sánchez Moya, Y., Sopeña, A., Francés, F. and Benito, G. (2012) Aproximación a las tasas de producción de sedimento mediante el cubicaje de diques de retención en ríos mediterráneos efímeros. Avances de la geomorfología en España 2010-2012. PubliCan Ediciones, pp. 513-516. ISBN: 978-84-86116-54-5.
- Francés, F., García-Bartual, R. and Bussi, G. (2011) High return period annual maximum reservoir water level quantiles estimation using synthetic generated flood events. In, Escuder-Bueno, I., Matheu, E., Altarejos-García, L. and J.T. Castillo-Rodríguez (eds.) Risk Analysis, Dam Safety, Dam Security and Critical Infrastructure Management. CRC Press. pp. 185-190. ISBN: 9780415620789.