Staff: Researchers and Programme Leaders
Dr Feyera Hirpa
Feyera Hirpa is currently a Postdoctoral Researcher in African Hydrology and Climate working for the REACH: Improving water security for the poor programme and the Future Resilience for African CiTies And Lands (FRACTAL) project. He has a wide-ranging research experience in the areas of hydrological modeling and remote sensing. Recently he has worked at European Commission Joint Research Centre in Italy where he was involved with the development of the Global Flood Awareness System.
Feyera received his PhD (2013) and MSc (2009) degrees in Environmental Engineering from University of Connecticut, and BSc (2004) degree in Electrical Engineering from Jimma University in Ethiopia. He was NASA Earth and Space Science Fellow, and during his studies he received numerous other awards including Multidisciplinary Environmental Research Award from University of Connecticut and Gold Medal from Jimma University.
- Hirpa, F., Salamon, P. Beck, H.E., Lorini, V., Alfieri, L., Zsoter, E. and Dadson, S.J. (2018) Calibration of the Global Flood Awareness System (GloFAS) using daily streamflow data. Journal of Hydrology.
- Hirpa, F.A., Dyer, E., Hope, R., Olago, D.O. and Dadson, S.J. (2018) Finding sustainable water futures in data-sparse regions under climate change: Insights from the Turkwel River basin, Kenya. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 19: 124-135.
- Zajac, Z., Revilla-Romero, B., Slamon, P., Burek, P., Hirpa, F.A. and Beck, H. (2017) The impact of lake and reservoir parameterization on global streamflow simulation. Journal of Hydrology, 548: 552-568.
- Dottori, F., Salamon, P., Bianchi, A., Alfieri, L., Hirpa, F.A. and Feyen, L. (2016) Development and evaluation of a framework for global flood hazard mapping. Advances in Water Resources, 94: 87-102.
- Hirpa, F.A., Salamon, P., Alfieri, L., Thielen-del Pozo, J., Zsoter, E. and Pappenberger, F. (2016) The effect of reference climatology on global flood forecasting. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17(4): 1131-1145.
- Revilla-Romero, B., Hirpa, F.A., Thielen-del Pozo, J., Salamon, P., Brakenridge, R., Pappenberger, F. and De Groeve, T. (2015) On the use of global flood forecasts and satellite-derived inundation maps for flood monitoring in data-sparse regions. Remote Sensing, 7(11): 15702-15728.
- Gebremichael, M., Bitew, M.M., Hirpa, F.A. and Tesfay, G.A. (2014) Accuracy of satellite rainfall estimates in the Blue Nile Basin: Lowland plain versus highland mountain. Water Resources Research, 50(11): 8775-8790.
- Hirpa, F.A., Hopson, T.M., De Groeve, T., Robert Brakenridge, G., Gebremichael, M. and Restrepo, P.J. (2013) Upstream satellite remote sensing for river discharge forecasting: Application to major rivers in South Asia. Remote Sensing of Environment, 131: 140-151.
- Hirpa, F.A., Gebremichael, M. and Hopson, T. (2010) Evaluation of high-resolution satellite precipitation products over very complex terrain in Ethiopia. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 49(5): 1044-1051.
- Hirpa, F.A., Gebremichael, M. and Over, T.M. (2010) River flow fluctuation analysis: Effect of watershed area. Water Resources Research, 46(12).
- Bitew, M., Gebremichael, M., Hirpa, F., Michael, Y., Seleshi, Y., and Girma, Y. (2009) On the local-scale spatial variability of daily rainfall in the highlands of the Blue Nile: observational evidence. Proceedings of World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2009: 1-9.
- Bitew, M.M., Gebremichael, M., Hirpa, F.A., Gebrewubet, Y.M., Seleshi, Y. and Girma, Y. (2009) On the local-scale spatial variability of daily summer rainfall in the humid and complex terrain of the Blue Nile: observational evidence. Hydrological Processes, 23(26): 3670-3674.
- Hirpa, F.A., Pappenberger, F., Arnal, L., Baugh, C.A., Cloke, H.L., Dutra, E., Emerton, R.E., Revilla-Romero, B., Salamon, P., Smith, P.J., Stephens, E., Wetterhall, F., Zsoter, E. and Thielen-del Pozo, J. (2018) Global flood forecasting for averting disasters worldwide. Chapter 12 in, Schumann, G., Bates, P., Aronica, G. and Apel, H. (eds.) Global Flood Hazard: Applications in modeling, mapping and forecasting. Wiley. ISBN: 9781119217886.
- Hirpa, F.A., Fagbemi, K., Afiesimama, E., Shuaib, H. and Salamon, P. (2015) Saving lives: Ensemble-based early warnings in developing nations. In, Duan, Q., Pappenberger, F., Thielen, J., Wood,A., Cloke, H.L. and Schaake, J.C. (eds.) Handbook of Hydrometeorological Ensemble Forecasting. Springer, Berlin. pp. 1-22. ISBN: 978-3-642-40457-3.
- Hirpa, F.A., Gebremichael, M., Hopson, T.M., Wojick, R. and Lee, H. (2014) Assimilation of Satellite Soil Moisture Retrievals into a Hydrologic Model for Improving River Discharge. Chapter 19 in, Lakshmi, V. et al. (ed.) Remote Sensing of the Terrestrial Water Cycle. Wiley. 576 pp. ISBN: 978-1-118-87203-1.