The research cluster is home to the editorial office of Journal of Biogeography, an international peer-review journal published by Blackwell Publishing.
Selected Publications (2006)
59 publications listed
- Ashlin, A. and Ladle, R.J. (2006) Environmental science adrift in the Blogosphere. Science, 312(5771): 201.
- Bailey, R.M. and Arnold, L.J. (2006) Statistical modelling of single grain quartz De distributions and an assessment of procedures for estimating burial dose. Quaternary Science Reviews, 25(19-20): 2475-2502.
- Barrow, L., Parr, C.L. and Kohen, J.L. (2006) Biogeography and diversity of ants in Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) National Park and Conservation Reserve, Western Australia. Australian journal of zoology, 54(2): 123-136.
- Bell, T. and Oliveras, I. (2006) Perceptions of prescribed burning in a local forest community in Victoria, Australia. Environmental management, 38(5): 867-878.
- Berry, P.M. and Harley, M. (2006) Climate Change, Biodiversity and Regional Policy Development. English Nature
- Berry, P.M., Rounsevell, M.D.A., Harrison, P.A. and Audsley, E. (2006) Assessing the vulnerability of agricultural land use and species to climate change and the role of policy in facilitating adaptation. Environmental Science and Policy, 9(2): 189-204.
- Bininda-Emonds, O.R.P., Cardillo, M., Jones, K.E., MacPhee, R.D.E., Beck, R.M.D., Grenyer, R., Price, S.A., Gittleman, J.L. and Purvis, A. (2006) The tree of life. In, MacDonald, D.W. (ed.) The Encyclopedia of Mammals. Oxford University Press.
- Brian, J.V., Fernandes, T., Ladle, R.J. and Todd, P.A. (2006) Patterns of morphological and genetic variability in UK populations of the shore crab, Carcinus maenas Linnaeus, 1758 (Crustacea: Decapoda: Brachyura). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 329(1): 47-54.
- Constantino, R., Acioli, A., Schmidt, K., Cuezzo, C., Carvalho, S.H.C. and Vasconcellos, A. (2006) A taxonomic revision of the Neotropical termite genera Labiotermes Holmgren and Paracornitermes Emerson (Isoptera: Termitidae: Nasutitermitinae). Zootaxa, 1340: 1-44.
- Cooney, R. and Jepson, P. (2006) The international wild bird trade: what's wrong with blanket bans? Oryx, 40(1): 18-23. (Download PDF 65KB © Cambridge University Press).
- Davenport, D.S. (2006) Global environmental negotiations and US interests. Palgrave Macmillan. pp. 288. ISBN: 9781403970213.
- Davenport, D.S. and Wood, P. (2006) Finding the Way Forward for the International Arrangement on Forests: UNFF-5,-6 and-7. Review of European Community & International Environmental Law, 15(3): 316-326.
- del Barrio, G., Harrison, P.A., Berry, P.M., Butt, N., Sanjuan, M.E., Pearson, R.G. and Dawson, T. (2006) Integrating multiple modelling approaches to predict the potential impacts of climate change on species' distributions in contrasting regions: comparison and implications for policy. Environmental Science and Policy, 9(2): 129-147.
- Doughty, C.E., Goulden, M.L., Miller, S.D. and da Rocha, H.R. (2006) Circadian rhythms constrain leaf and canopy gas exchange in an Amazonian forest. Geophysical Research Letters, 33.
- Douglas, M.M., Setterfield, S.A., O'Connor, R.A., Ferdinands, K., Rossiter, N.A., Brooks, K., Ryan, B. and Parr, C. (2006) Different weeds, different habitats, same effects: exotic grass invasion in tropical woodlands and wetlands. Proceedings of the 15th Australian Weeds Conference.. 811-14.
- Duke, G. (2006) EU Action Plan to 2010 and Beyond. Technical Annex to the Communication from the Commission, Halting the Loss of Biodiversity by 2010 - and Beyond. Sustaining Ecosystem Services for Human Well-being. European Commission 14 pp.
- Duke, G. (2006) Halting the Loss of Biodiversity by 2010 - and Beyond. Sustaining Ecosystem Services for Human Well-being. European Commission 15 pp.
- Fisher, J.B., Kelly, M. and Romm, J. (2006) Scales of environmental justice: combining GIS and spatial analysis for air toxics in West Oakland, California. Health & Place, 12(4): 701-714.
- Froyd, C.A. (2006) Holocene fire in the Scottish Highlands: evidence from macroscopic charcoal records. The Holocene, 16(2): 235-249.
- Grenyer, R., Orme, C.D.L., Jackson, S.F., Thomas, G.H., Davies, R.G., Davies, T.J., Jones, K.E., Olson, V.A., Ridgely, R.S., Rasmussen, P.C., Ding, T-Z., Bennett, P.M., Blackburn, T.M., Gaston, K.J., Gittleman, J.L. and Owens, I.P.F. (2006) The global distribution and conservation of rare and threatened vertebrates. Nature, 444: 93-96.
- Haapanala, S., Rinne, J., Pystynen, K.H., Hellén, H., Hakola, H. and Riutta, T. (2006) Measurements of hydrocarbon emissions from a boreal fen using the REA technique. Biogeosciences, 3: 103-112.
- Hamilton, A., Durbeck, K. and Lawrence, A. (2006) Towards a sustainable herbal harvest: a work in hand. Plant Talk, 43: 32-35.
- Hamilton, A., Dürbeck, K. and Lawrence, A. (2006) Towards a sustainable harvest: a work in hand. Plant Talk, 43: 32-35.
- Hansen, E., Fletcher, R., Cashore, B., McDermott, C. and others (2006) Forest Certification in North America..
- Harrison, P.A., Berry, P.M., Butt, N. and New, M. (2006) Modelling climate change impacts on species' distributions at the European scale: implications for conservation policy. Environmental Science and Polic, 9(2): 116-128.
- Henderson, S., Dawson, T.P. and Whittaker, R.J. (2006) Progress in invasive plants research. Progress in Physical Geography, 30(1): 25-46.
- Jepson, P. and Cooney, R. (2006) The need for flexibility in wildlife trade policy: a response to Burton. Oryx,, 40(3): 261-265.
- Ladle, R.J. and Todd, P.A. (2006) Sex or sanctuary: how do asexual worms survive the winter? Hydrobiologia, 559(1): 395-399.
- Lawrence, A. (2006) No Personal Motive?Volunteers, Biodiversity, and the False Dichotomies of Participation. Ethics Place and Environment, 9(3): 279-298.
- Lawrence, A. and Hawthorne, W. (2006) Plant identification: creating user friendly field guides for biodiversity management. Earthscan. pp. 256. ISBN: 9781844070794.
- Lawrence, A., Paudel, K., Barnes, R. and Malla, Y. (2006) Adaptive value of participatory biodiversity monitoring in community forestry. Environmental conservation, 33(4): 325-334.
- Li, Y.Y., Willis, K.J., Zhou, L.P. and Cui, H.T. (2006) The impact of ancient civilization on the northeastern Chinese landscape: palaeoecological evidence from the Western Liaohe River Basin, Inner Mongolia. The Holocene, 16(8): 1109-1121.
- Macias-Fauria, M. and Johnson, E.A. (2006) Large-scale climatic patterns control large lightning fire occurrence in Canada and Alaska forest regions. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(G04008).
- Macias-Fauria, M., Andreu, L., Bosch, O., Camarero, J.J. and Gutiérrez, E. (2006) Increasing aridity is enhancing Silver fir (Abies alba Mill.) water stress in its south-western distribution limit. Climatic Change, 79(3-4): 289-313.
- McDermott, C.L. and Global Institute of Sustainable Forestry (2006) FSC in the northern Appalachians: a regional and sub-regional analysis of forest stewardship council certification as a tool for forest conservation. Yale University, School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Global Institute of Sustainable Forestry.
- Morecroft, M.D. and Paterson J.S. (2006) Effects of temperature and precipitation change on plant communities. In, Morison, J.I.L. and Morecroft, M.D. (eds.) Plant growth and climate change. Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 146-164. ISBN: 9781405131926.
- Morecroft, M.D., Sier, A.R.J., Elston, D.A., Nevison, I.M., Hall, J.R., Rennie, S.C., Parr, T.W. and Crick, H.Q.P. (2006) Targeted monitoring of air pollution and climate change impacts on biodiversity. Final report to Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), Countryside Council for Wales and English Nature (CR0322)
- Morison, J.I.L. and Morecroft, M.D. (2006) Plant growth and climate change. Blackwell. ISBN: 9781405131926.
- Morton, D.C., DeFries, R.S., Shimabukuro, Y.E., Anderson, L.O., Arai, E., del Bon Espirito-Santo, F., Freitas, R. and Morisette, J. (2006) Cropland expansion changes deforestation dynamics in the southern Brazilian Amazon. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103(39): 14637-14641.
- Nogués-Bravo, D. and Araújo, M.B. (2006) Species richness, area and climate correlates. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 15(5): 452-460.
- O'Dea, N. and Whittaker, R.J. (2006) How resilient are Andean montane forest bird communities to habitat degredation? Biodiversity and Conservation, 16(4): 1131-1159.
- O'Dea, N., Araújo, M.B. and Whittaker, R.J. (2006) How well do Important Bird Areas represent species and minimize conservation conflict in the tropical Andes? Diversity and Distributions, 12(2): 205-214.
- O'Dea, N., Whittaker, R.J. and Ugland, K.I. (2006) Using spatial heterogeneity to extrapolate species richness: a new method tested on Ecuadorian cloud forest birds. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43(1): 189-198.
- Oliveras, I. (2006) Modelling the long term effect of changes in fire frequency on the total area burnt. Orsis: organismes i sistemes, 20: 73-81.
- Oliveras, I. and Piol, J. (2006) Relationships among issue of fires, total area burnt, and large fires in southern France, eastern Spain and Portugal. IEEE Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Environment Identities and Mediterranean Area (ISEIMA), 2006.. 84-87.
- Oliveras, I., Pinol, J. and Viegas, D.X. (2006) Generalization of the fire line rotation model to curved fire lines. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 15(4): 447-456.
- Pongratz, J., Bounoua, L., DeFries, R.S., Morton, D.C., Anderson, L.O., Mauser, W. and Klink, C.A. (2006) The impact of land cover change on surface energy and water balance in Mato Grosso, Brazil. Earth Interactions, 10(19): 1-17.
- Root-Bernstein, M. (2006) Interaction with the cultural niche is mediated by learning, attention and decision making. In, Feijs, L., Kyffin, S. and Young, B. (eds.) Design and Semantics of Form and Movement. DeSForM 2006. pp. 52-57.
- Rounsevell, M.D.A., Berry, P.M. and Harrison, P.A. (2006) Future environmental change impacts on rural land use and biodiversity: a synthesis of the ACCELERATES project. Environmental Science and Policy, 9(2): 93-100.
- Segurado, P., Araujo, M.B. and Kunin, W.E. (2006) Consequences of spatial autocorrelation for niche-based models. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43(3): 433-444.
- Shimabukuro, Y.E., Aragao, L.E.O. and Williams, M. (2006) Meso-Scale Variability of Soils and Forest Canopy Properties is Connected to Geomorphologic Features in Eastern Amazonia. IEEE Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2006.. 675-678.
- Staley, J.T., Mortimer, S.R., Masters, G.J., Morecroft, M.D., Brown, V.K. and Taylor, M.E. (2006) Drought stress differentially affects leaf-mining species. Ecological entomology, 31(5): 460-469.
- Stokes, V.J., Morecroft, M.D. and Morison, J.I.L. (2006) Boundary layer conductance for contrasting leaf shapes in a deciduous broadleaved forest canopy. Agricultural and forest meteorology, 139(1): 40-54.
- Thuiller, W., Lavorel, S., Sykes, M.T. and Araújo, M.B. (2006) Using niche-based modelling to assess the impact of climate change on tree functional diversity in Europe. Diversity and Distributions, 12(1): 49-60.
- Todd, P.A., Briers, R.A., Ladle, R.J. and Middleton, F. (2006) Phenotype-environment matching in the shore crab (Carcinus maenas). Marine Biology, 148(6): 1357-1367.
- Villela, D.M., Nascimento, M.T., Aragão. L.E. and da Gama, D.M. (2006) Effect of selective logging on forest structure and nutrient cycling in a seasonally dry Brazilian Atlantic forest. Journal of Biogeography, 33(3): 506-516.
- Whittaker, R.J. (2006) Island species-energy theory. Journal of Biogeography, 33(1): 11-12.
- Willis, K.J. and Birks, H.J.B. (2006) What is natural? The need for a long-term perspective in biodiversity conservation. Science, 314(5803): 1261-1265.
- Wood, P., Berry, P.M. and Lonsdale, K. (2006) Future Landscape Scenarios around Little Wittenham, South Oxfordshire. Report to the Northmoor Trust.
- Supplement to 'Dangers of crying wolf over risk of extinctions' PDF: 99.5 KB
This is a supplement to a article of correspondence, which appeared in Nature, 428(799) in 2004, by Richard Ladle, Paul Jepson, Miguel Araújo, and Robert Whittaker.
- Supplement to 'Global biodiversity plan needs to convince local policy-makers' PDF: 12.7 KB
This is a supplement to a article of correspondence, which appeared in Nature, 402(12) in 2001, by Paul Jepson.