Beyond polders: Diagnosing complex flooding processes and human impacts in the coastal region of Bangladesh
Adnan is a Commonwealth Scholar from Bangladesh, enrolled as a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) student in the School of Geography and the Environment. His doctoral research aims to evaluate the effectiveness of alternative coastal flood interventions in the context of Bangladesh. Specifically, he is empirically investigating the effectiveness of coastal embankments, tidal river management (TRM), and land use planning interventions in mitigating flood risk in the coastal Bangladesh. This is an interdisciplinary research, with a focus on hydrology and spatial science.
Adnan holds a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning (BURP) degree from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). He also holds a MSc degree in International Cooperation and Urban Development from Technische Universität Darmstadt (TUD) in Germany, as an Erasmus Mundus scholar. Prior to joining as a DPhil student, he worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning at Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET) in Bangladesh.
- Abdullah, A.Y.M., Masrur, A., Adnan, M.S.G., Baky, M.A.A., Hassan, Q.K. and Dewan, A. (2019) Spatio-Temporal Patterns of Land Use/Land Cover Change in the Heterogeneous Coastal Region of Bangladesh between 1990 and 2017. Remote Sensing, 11(7): 790.
- Adnan, M.S.G., Dewan, A., Zannat, K.E. and Abdullah, A.Y.M. (2019) The use of watershed geomorphic data in flash flood susceptibility zoning: a case study of the Karnaphuli and Sangu river basins of Bangladesh. Natural Hazards: 1-24.
- Adnan, M.S.G., Haque, A. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Have coastal embankments reduced flooding in Bangladesh? Science of The Total Environment Volume, 682: 405-416.
- Zannat, K.E., Raja, D.R. and Adnan, M.S.G. (2019) Pedestrian Facilities and Perceived Pedestrian Level of Service (PLOS): A Case Study of Chittagong Metropolitan Area, Bangladesh. Transportation in Developing Economies, 5(2): 9.
- Adnan, S. G. and Kreibich, H. (2016) An evaluation of disaster risk reduction (DRR) approaches for coastal delta cities: a comparative analysis. Natural Hazards, 83(2): 1257-1278.
- Adnan, M.S.G. (2015) Innovating Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Framework for Ensuring Urban Resilience: A Study on Coastal Delta Cities. Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners, 8: 123-134.
- Ashraf, M.A., Islam, M.R. and Adnan, S.G. (2015) GIS and multi criteria decision method based approach of identifying appropriate landfill sites for the city of Chittagong. International Journal of Environment, 4(1): 1-15.
- Islam, I. and Adnan, M.S.G. (2011) Commercial land use in Dhaka: an analysis of trends and patterns. In, Ahmed, S.U., Hafiz, R. and Rabbani, A.K.M.G. (eds.) 400 Years of Capital Dhaka and Beyond, Volume III: Urbanization and Urban Development. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dhaka. pp. 277-296. ISBN: 9845120113.
- Barbour, E., Hall, J.W., Adnan, M.S.G., Khan, M.S.A., Rahman, M.M., Hoque, S., Salehin, M. and Borgomeo, E. (2018) Investing in the Coastal Poor: Societal Trade-offs for Water Security Infrastructure. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2018.
- Kreibich, H., Adnan, M.S.G., Thi Chinh, D. and Bubeck, P. (2015) Flood precautionary behaviour of private households in Can Tho city in the Mekong Delta. EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts.
- Islam, I., Adnan, M.S.G., Rahman, M. and Abu Sayed, M. (2009) An Analysis of Spatial Structure of Dhaka: Associated Problems and Issues. 10th Asian Urbanization Conference, Hong Kong.