Rafael holds a MSc in Demography from University of Campinas (Unicamp) and a BSc in Sociology from University of Brasilia (UnB), both in Brazil. After completing the MSc he has worked as a researcher for five years at the Institute for Applied Economic Research (Ipea), focusing on policy-oriented research in the fields of urban and regional development, transport policies and demography. Rafael joined the Transport Studies Unit (TSU) in October 2013.
Degree completed in 2018.
Distributive justice and transportation equity: inequality in accessibility in Rio de Janeiro
- Supervisors: Professor David Banister; Professor Tim Schwanen;
- Member: Technological Life: Environments, Bodies, Mobilities research cluster;
Email: email@example.comFollow @UrbanDemog
Rafael's research is positioned at the intersection of urban and regional development, population studies and transport policies. Key research interests include:
- Justice and Equity issues in transport policies;
- Commuting patterns and Urban accessibility;
- Spatial organization of cities;
- Active travel;
- Spatial Analysis and GTFS data; and
- Population aging and demographic projections.
Rafael's doctoral research concentrates on questions of distributive justice and transportation equity. It focuses more specifically on the distributive aspects of how transport policies/investments shape socio-spatial inequalities in access to opportunities. The four-paper thesis is grounded on a theoretical discussion of leading contemporary philosophical theories of justice, mainly Rawls' egalitarianism and Capability Approaches. The methodology developed in the thesis contributes to accessibility measurement in multimodal transport networks by combining GTFS and GPS-based big data. The research further develops two case studies that discuss the equity implications of the transport legacies from sports mega-events in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and analyze of who benefited from the new transport developments in the city. More info is available here.
Papers and Articles
- Pereira, R.H.M., Schwanen, T. and Banister, D. (2016) Distributive justice and equity in transportation. Transport Reviews.
- de Sá, T.H., Pereira, R.H.M., Duran, A.C. and Monteiro, C.A. (2016) Socioeconomic and regional differences in active transportation in Brazil. Revista de Saúde Pública, 50.
- Pereira, R., Souza, P., Carvalho, C. and Camarano, A. (accepted, 2015) Population aging and its consequences to public transport fares in São Paulo Metropolitan Area. Revista Brasileira de Estudos de População.
- Pereira, R. and Carvalho, C. (2014) Household expenditure on urban transport in Brazil, 2003 and 2009. Revista dos Transportes Públicos, 36(1): 29-46. [In Portuguese].
- Pereira, R., Nascimento, P. and Araujo, T. (2014) A demographic projection of engineering labor force in Brazil through 2020. Revista Brasileira de Estudos de População, 30(2): 503-518. [In Portuguese]
- Pereira, R., Nadalin, V., Monasterio, L. and Albuquerque, P. (2013) Urban centrality: a simple index. Geographical Analysis, 45(1): 77-89.
- Carvalho, C. and Pereira, R. (2012) The effects of income and fare variation on the demand for bus transit services in Brazil. Transportes, 20(1). [In Portuguese]
- Ojima, R., Pereira, R., Marandola Junior, E. and Silva, R. (2010) The stigma of living far away from the city: rethinking the consensus on dormitory towns. Cadernos Metrópole (PUCSP), 12(24): 395-416. [In Portuguese]
- Ojima, R., Pereira, R. and Silva, R. (2007) Defining dormitory towns with commuting data: sociodemographic characterization and new spatial dynamics in Brazilian urban agglomerations. Cadernos IPPUR/UFRJ, 21(2). [In Portuguese]
- Pereira, R. and Furtado, B. (eds.) (2011) Urban-Regional Dynamics: Urban network and its interfaces. Brasília: Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada, 1. 490 pp. [In Portuguese]
- Branco, M., Pereira, R. and Nadalin, V. (2013) Revisiting the delimitation of metropolitan boundaries in Brazil. In, Furtado, Krause and França (eds.) Território metropolitano, políticas municipais: por soluções conjuntas de problemas urbanos no âmbito metropolitano. Ipea, 1. pp. 115-154 [In Portuguese]
- Maciente, A., Nascimento, P. and Pereira, R. (2013) The spatial distribution of skilled labor force in Brazil. In, Boueri and Costa (eds.) Brasil em Desenvolvimento 2013 - Estado, Planejamento e Políticas Públicas. Ipea, 2. pp. 421-440 [In Portuguese]
- Pereira, R., Costa, M., Galindo, E. and Balbim, R. (2012) Current situation and prospects of the federal program for supporting municipal urban management. In, Linhares, Mendes and Lassance (eds.) Federalismo à Brasileira: questões para discussão. Ipea, 8. pp. 59-84 [In Portuguese]
- Carvalho, C., Pereira, R., Vasconcelos, E., Galindo, E. and Neto, V. (2010) Urban mobility in Brazil. In, Morais, M. and M. Costa (eds.) Infraestrutura Social e Urbana no Brasil: subsídios para uma agenda de pesquisa e formulação de políticas públicas. Ipea, 2. pp. 549-592. [In Portuguese]
- Morais, M., Pereira, R., Rego, P., Araujo, V. and Carvalho, P. (2009) Brazilian urban policies and the federal constitution of 1988. In, Cardoso Jr., Castro and Motta (eds.) A Constituição Brasileira de 1988 Revisitada: Recuperação Histórica e Desafios Atuais das Políticas Públicas nas Áreas Regional, Urbana e Ambiental. Ipea, 2. pp. 117-158 [In Portuguese]
- Pereira, R., Barros, A., Morais, M. and Rego, P. (2009) Recent performance of federal programs for public transport and urban mobility. In, Cardoso Jr. (ed.) Brasil em desenvolvimento: Estado, planejamento e políticas públicas. Ipea, 2, pp. 451-469 [In Portuguese]
Working Papers and Other Publications
- Pereira, R. and Schwanen, T. (2013) Commute time in Brazil (1992-2009): differences between metropolitan areas, by income levels and gender. Discussion Paper IPEA no. 1813. Brasília: Ipea. [Portuguese and English]
- Carvalho, C., Gomide, A., Pereira, R., et al. (2013) Pricing and funding public transport in Brazil. Nota técnica No. 2. Brasília: Ipea. [In Portuguese]
- Carvalho, C. and Pereira, R. (2012) Household expenditures on public and private transport in Brazil: an analysis based on the Household Budget Survey for 2003 and 2009. Discussion Paper IPEA no. 1803. Brasília: Ipea. [In Portuguese]
- Nonato, F., Pereira, R., Nascimento, P. and Araujo, T. (2012) The changing demographics of Brazilian workforce. Boletim Mercado de trabalho: conjuntura e análise / Ipea e MTE, No. 51. Brasília: Ipea. [In Portuguese]