Degree completed in 2021.
Infrastructure for sustainable development
Daniel's doctoral research focuses on the role of infrastructure in sustainable development. In particular, he looks at how infrastructure investments and policies can be most effectively implemented in order to achieve progress toward the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change. Daniel uses engineering-based national infrastructure systems models to assess infrastructure needs in the context of uncertainty around future demographic, economic and climate change drivers in a range of international contexts, including small island and post-conflict countries.
Daniel's research is part of the Infrastructure Transitions Research Consortium (ITRC), led by the University of Oxford. He also collaborates with the UN Office for Project Services (UNOPS) developing methodology and tools to enhance sustainability in infrastructure project delivery.
Prior to Oxford, Daniel spent nearly three years at the OECD Development Centre with a focus on economic and fiscal development in Latin America. He holds an MSc in Environmental Change and Management from Oxford, an MPhil in International Economics from Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne and a BA from McGill University.
Daniel was a teaching assistant on the MSc Environmental Change and Management course from 2017-2019.
- Adshead, D., Román García, O., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2021) Infrastructure strategies for achieving the global development agendas in small islands. Earth's Future, 9(2).
- Adshead, D., Thacker, S., Fuldauer, L.I. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals through long-term infrastructure planning. Global Environmental Change, 59.
- Fuldauer, L.I., Ives, M.C., Adshead, D., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Participatory planning of the future of waste management in small island developing states to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals. Journal of Cleaner Production, 223: 147-162.
- Ives, M.C., Hickford, A.J., Adshead, D., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Nicholls, R.J., Sway, T., Abu Ayyash, M., Jones, R. and O'Reagan, N. (2019) A systems-based assessment of Palestine's current and future infrastructure requirements. Journal of Environmental Management, 234: 200-213.
- Thacker, S., Adshead, D., Fay, M., Hallegatte, S., Harvey, M., Meller, H., O'Regan, N., Rozenberg, J., Watkins, G., and Hall, J.W. (2019) Infrastructure for sustainable development. Nature Sustainability, 2(4): 324-331.
- Adshead, D., Thacker, S., Fuldauer, L.I., Gall, S.S., Chow, N., Pant, R., Russell, T., Bajpai, A., Morgan, G., Bhikhoo, N., Boroto, D., Palmer, R., Cançado, D., Jain, N., Klöttschen, V., Lawal, H., Dery, P., Twum, E., Mohammed, G., Hall, J.W. and Agbesi, L. (2022) Ghana: Roadmap for resilient infrastructure in a changing climate. Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation, Accra, Ghana.
- Thacker, S., Adshead, D., Fantini, C., Palmer, R., Ghosal, R., Adeoti, T., Morgan, G. and Stratton-Short, S. (2021) Infrastructure for climate action. UNOPS, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Adshead, D., Fuldauer, L.I., Thacker, S., Román García, O., Vital, S., Felix, F., Roberts, C., Wells, H., Edwin, G., Providence, A. and Hall, J.W. (2020) Saint Lucia: National Infrastructure Assessment. United Nations Office for Project Services, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Thacker, S., Adshead, D., Morgan, G., Crosskey, S., Bajpai, A., Ceppi, P., Hall, J.W. and O'Regan, N. (2019) Infrastructure: Underpinning Sustainable Development. United Nations Office for Project Services, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Adshead, D., Fuldauer, L., Thacker, S., Hickford, A., Rouhet, G., Muller, W.S., Hall, J.W. and Nicholls, R. (2018) Evidence-based infrastructure: Curacao. National infrastructure systems modelling to support sustainable and resilient infrastructure development. United Nations Office for Project Services, Copenhagen, Denmark.