Johanna joined the School of Geography and the Environment in 2013, jointly appointed by the Department for Continuing Education. Johanna graduated from the University of Oxford (Jesus College), with a First Class (hons.) degree in Geography. She was then awarded a Canadian Rhodes Scholars Foundation Scholarship and went to the University of British Columbia, Canada, where she completed her MA and PhD. During her time at UBC she was awarded an Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Pre-Doctoral Fellowship. In January 2004, Johanna took up the post of Lecturer in Human Geography at the Department of Geography, University of Liverpool. She remained at Liverpool until December 2010, when she was appointed to Senior Lecturer in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham. She moved to Oxford in June 2013. Johanna is from Swansea, South Wales and currently lives in South Warwickshire with her partner and three young children.
Associate Professor in Human Geography
- Fellow of Kellogg College, Oxford
- Member of the Transformations: Economy, Society and Place research cluster
- Tel: +44 (0)1865 270397
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Johanna's research interests include international and transnational migration, young people and international higher education, and educational mobilities. She is particularly interested in understanding the ways in which experiences of (higher) education and subsequent employment are being transformed through internationalisation, and the relationship to (im)mobilities. She has recently completed a number of projects in this vein, including one with Rachel Brooks (University of Surrey) on British international students (British Academy, LRG-45489), and with Maggi Leung (Utrecht University) on transnational higher education in contemporary Hong Kong (ESRC and RGC, Hong Kong, RES-000-22-3000). She held an ESRC seminar series (with Rachel Brooks, Alison Fuller and John Holford) on the changing spaces of education, which is now published as an edited collection by Routledge (Brooks, R., A. Fuller and J. Waters (eds.) (2012) Changing spaces of education: new perspectives on the nature of learning). Johanna is currently working on a project on elite school geographies, with friend and colleague in sociology at Surrey Rachel Brooks.
- University of Oxford, Returning Carer's Fund, 2015 - 2016, £2,580
- The Brian Simon Fellowship, 2014 - 2015 (awarded by the British Educational Research Association), £3,000
- ESRC Research Grant, 2009 - 2011 (Principal Investigator with Co-Is M. Leung & G. Lin, University of Hong Kong); 'Joint initiatives between UK and Hong Kong higher education institutions - an examination of student and employer perspectives', £43,215 (FEC), plus HK$ 350,000 from Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RES-000-22-3000)
- ESRC Research Seminar Series, 2009 - 2010 (first Co-I with R. Brooks, Department of Politics, University of Surrey; A. Fuller, Department of Education, University of Southampton, and J. Holford, Department of Education, University of Nottingham); 'New Spaces of Education: the Changing Nature of Learning in the 21st Century', £13,965
- British Academy Larger Research Grant, 2007 - 2008 (Co-I with R. Brooks, Department of Politics, University of Surrey); 'International higher education and the mobility of UK students: motivations, experiences and labour market outcomes', £91,848 (FEC) (LRG-45489)
Johanna is part of the core teaching team on the MSc in Sustainable Urban Development. She lectures on migration for prelims and social geography for FHS. Within Continuing Education she is Director of Graduate Studies.
Current Graduate Research Students
Understanding 'Reversed-Flow' international student mobility: a Bourdieusian perspective
Recent Graduate Research Students (since 2006)
Completed DPhil in 2015
Education, class, and youth: young people's experiences of private higher education in Singapore
- Dr. Christopher Coey, PhD awarded 2013. University studentship. Thesis: International education and European Migration, University of Liverpool
- Dr. Su-Chuin Soon, PhD awarded 2012. University studentship. Thesis: The Chinese Community in Liverpool, University of Liverpool
- Dr. Raye Ng, PhD awarded 2011. Self-funded. Thesis: Constructions of Corporate Culture in Singapore, University of Liverpool
- Dr. Denise Hinton, PhD awarded September 2010. ESRC/Welsh Assembly funded (1+3). Thesis: The Geography of HE Provision in Wales: Mobility and the Educational and Career Choices of Welsh Students, University of Liverpool
- Dr. Helena Pimlott-Wilson, PhD awarded December 2008. ESRC funded (1+3). Thesis: Children's Experiences of Mothers' Employment, University of Liverpool
- Dr. Stephanie Geary, PhD awarded April 2007. ESRC funded. Thesis: Organisational Knowledge in the Merseyside SME Support Sector: Knowing, Individual Interaction and Place, University of Liverpool
- Skelton, T., Abebe, T. and Waters, J. (eds.) (2017) Laboring and Learning. Springer. ISBN: 978-981-287-033-9.
- Abebe, T., Waters, J. and Skelton, T. (eds.) (2016) Labouring and Learning. Springer. ISBN: 978-981-4585-97-2.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2013) Student Mobilities, Migration and the Internationalisation of Higher Education. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. pp. 216. ISBN: 9781137345998.
- Brooks, R., Fuller, A. and Waters, J. (eds.) (2012) Changing Spaces of Education: New perspectives on the nature of learning. Routledge. pp. 280. ISBN: 978-0-415-67222-1.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2011) Student Mobilities, Migration and the Internationalization of Higher Education. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. pp. 208. ISBN: 9780230578449.
- Waters, J.L. (2008) Education, Migration and Cultural Capital in the Chinese Diaspora: Transnational students between Hong Kong and Canada. Cambria Press, New York. ISBN: 978-1604975437.
- Waters, J. and Leung, M. (2017) Trans-knowledge? Geography, Mobility, and Knowledge in Transnational Education. Mobilities of Knowledge, 10: 269-285.
- Waters, J. (2016) Theorizing Mobilities in Children’s Educational Experiences: Promises and Pitfalls. Geographies of Children and Young People, 6: 231-244.
- Waters, J.L. (2016) Education unbound? Enlivening debates with a mobilities perspective on learning. Progress in Human Geography.
- Waters, J.L. and Leung, M.W.H. (2016) Domesticating transnational education: discourses of social value, self-worth and the institutionalisation of failure in ‘meritocratic’ Hong Kong. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers.
- Waters, J. (2015) Educational imperatives and the compulsion for credentials: family migration and children's education in East Asia. Children's Geographies, 13(3): 280-293.
- Waters, J. and Brooks, R. (2015) 'The magical operations of separation': English elite schools' on-line geographies, internationalisation and functional isolation. Geoforum, 58: 86-94.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2014) The hidden internationalism of elite English schools. Sociology, 49(2): 212-228.
- Waters, J. and Leung, M. (2014) 'These are not the best students': continuing education, transnationalisation and Hong Kong's young adult 'educational non-elite'. Children's Geographies, 12(1): 56-69.
- Leung, M. and Waters, J. (2013) British degrees made in Hong Kong: an enquiry into the role of space and place in transnational education. Asia Pacific Education Review, 14(1): 43-53.
- Tse, J. and Waters, J. (2013) Transnational youth transitions: becoming adults between Vancouver and Hong Kong. Global Networks.
- Waters, J. and Leung, M. (2013) Immobile transnationalisms? Young people and their in situ experiences of 'international' education in Hong Kong. Urban Studies, 50(3): 606-620.
- Waters, J. and Leung, M. (2013) Young people and the reproduction of disadvantage through transnational higher education in Hong Kong. Sociological Research Online, 17(3).
- Brooks, R., Waters, J. and Pimlott-Wilson, H. (2012) International education and the employability of UK students. British Educational Research Journal, 38(2): 281-298.
- Waters, J. (2012) Editorial: The socio-spatial fragmentation of higher education: some unexpected consequences of internationalisation. Geoforum, 43(5): 1-3.
- Waters, J.L. (2012) Geographies of international education: mobilities and the reproduction of social (dis)advantage. Geography Compass, 6(3): 123-136.
- Waters, J. and Brooks, R. (2011) 'Vive la différence'? The 'international' experiences of UK students overseas. Population, Space and Place, 17(5): 567-578.
- Waters, J., Brooks, R. and Pimlott-Wilson, H. (2011) Youthful escapes: British students, overseas education and the pursuit of happiness. Social and Cultural Geography, 12(5): 455-470.
- Waters, J.L. (2011) C. Jeffrey, P. Jeffery and R. Jeffery 'Degrees without freedom? Education, masculinities and unemployment in North India'. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 41(3): 439-441.
- Waters, J.L. (2011) Time and transnationalism: a longitudinal study of immigration, endurance and settlement in Canada. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 37(7): 1119-1136.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2010) Social networks and educational mobility: the experiences of UK students. Globalisation, Societies and Education, 8(1): 143-157.
- Waters, J. and Brooks, R. (2010) Accidental achievers? International higher education and, class reproduction and privilege in the experiences of UK students overseas. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 31(2): 217-228.
- Waters, J.L. (2010) Becoming a father, missing a wife: Chinese transnational families and the male experience of lone parenting in Canada. Population, Space and Place, 16(1): 63-74.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2009) A second chance at 'success': UK students and global circuits of higher education. Sociology, 43(6): 1085-1102.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2009) International higher education and the mobility of UK students. Journal of Research in International Education, 8(2): 191-209.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) Immigration, transnationalism and 'flexible citizenship' in Canada: an examination of Ong's thesis ten years on. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, 100(5): 635-645.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) In pursuit of scarcity: transnational students, 'employability' and the MBA. Environment and Planning, A, 41(8): 1865-1883.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) Transnational geographies of academic distinction: the role of social capital in the recognition and evaluation of 'overseas' credentials. Globalisation, Societies and Education, 7(2): 113-129.
- Waters, J.L. (2008) B.A. Ruble (2005) Creating Diversity Capital: transnational migrants in Montreal, Washington and Kyiv, Baltimore, The John Hopkins Press. National Identities, 10(2): 237-246.
- Waters, J.L. (2008) R. Edwards and R. Usher (2008) Globalisation and Pedagogy: Space, Place and Identity (2nd edition) (Routledge: London and New York), pp. 191. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 27(5): 599-607.
- Featherstone, D., Phillips, R. and Waters, J. (2007) Introduction: spatialities of transnational networks. Global Networks, 7(4): 383-391.
- Waters, J.L. (2007) 'Roundabout routes and sanctuary schools': the role of situated educational practices and habitus in the creation of transnational professionals. Global Networks, 7(4): 477-497.
- Waters, J.L. (2006) Emergent geographies of international education and social exclusion. Antipode, 38(5): 1046-1068.
- Waters, J.L. (2006) Geographies of cultural capital: education, international migration and family strategies between Hong Kong and Canada. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 31(2): 179-192.
- Waters, J.L. (2005) A. Ong (2003) Buddha is Hiding: Refugees, Citizenship, The New America California, University of California Press. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 23(6): 925-938.
- Waters, J.L. (2005) D. S. Massey and J. Edward Taylor (eds.) 2004 International Migration: Prospects and Policies in a Global Market Oxford: Oxford University Press. Population Studies, 59(1): 119-134.
- Waters, J.L. (2005) K. Mitchell (2004) Crossing the neo-liberal line: Pacific Rim Migration and the Metropolis Philadelphia: Temple Press. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 96(1): 212-214.
- Waters, J.L. (2005) Transnational family strategies and education in the contemporary Chinese diaspora. Global Networks, 5(4): 359-378.
- Waters, J.L. (2004) E. Ostergaard-Nielsen (ed.) (2003) International Migration and Sending Countries: Perceptions, Policies and Transnational Relations, Palgrave, Macmillan. Population Studies, 58(2): 247-257.
- Waters, J.L. (2003) Flexible citizens? Transnationalism and citizenship amongst economic immigrants in Vancouver. The Canadian Geographer, 47(3): 219-234.
- Waters, J.L. (2002) Flexible families? 'Astronaut' households and the experiences of lone mothers in Vancouver, British Columbia. Social and Cultural Geography, 3(2): 117-134.
- Waters, J.L. (2001) K. Willis and B. Yeoh (eds.) (2000) Gender and Migration, Edward Elgar Publishers. Journal of International Migration and Integration, 2(1): 144-145.
- Abebe, T. and Waters, J. (2017) Geographies of Laboring and Learning: Introduction. Chapter 1 in, Abebe, T. and Waters, J. (eds.) Laboring and Learning. Springer Singapore. pp. 1-17. ISBN: 978-981-287-031-5.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2017) The mobility imperative English students and 'fair' access to international higher education. Chapter 15 in, Mountford-Zimdars, A. and Harrison, N. (eds.) Access to Higher Education: Theoretical perspectives and contemporary challenges. Routledge. 254 pp. ISBN: 9781138924116.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2015) The boundaries of privilege: elite English schools' geographies and depictions of a local community. In, Van Zanten, A. and S. J. Ball (eds.) World Yearbook of Education 2015 - Elites, Privilege and Excellence: The National and Global Redefinition of Educational Advantage. Routledge. 248 pp. ISBN: 9781138786424.
- Waters, J. (2015) Dysfunctional mobilities: international education and the chaos of movement. In, Wyn, J. and H. Cahill (eds.) Handbook of Children and Youth Studies. Springer. ISBN: 978-981-4451-15-4.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2013) 'Global graduates', student mobility and the funding of higher education. Chapter 8 in, Heller, D. and Callender, C. (eds.) Student Financing of Higher Education: A comparative perspective. Routledge. 266 pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-53596-0.
- Waters, J. (2013) Mobilities. In, Lee, R., Castree, N., Kitchin, R., Lawson, V., Paasi, A., Philo, C., Radcliffe, S., Roberts, S.M. and Withers, C. (eds.) The SAGE Handbook of Progress in Human Geography. SAGE. 832 pp. ISBN: 9780857022486.
- Waters, J. and Brooks, R. (2013) Accidental achievers? International higher education, class reproduction and privilege in the experiences of UK students overseas. Chapter 5 in, David, M. and Naidoo, R. (eds.) The Sociology of Higher Education: Reproduction, transformation and change in a global era. Routledge. 158 pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-65966-6.
- Brooks, R. and Waters, J. (2012) Young Europeans and educational mobility. Chapter 4 in, Leaman, J. and Wörsching, M. (eds.) Youth in Contemporary Europe. Routledge, Oxford. pp. 85-102. ISBN: 978-0-415-81063-0.
- Waters, J. (2012) Perspectives on geography and learning. Chapter 41 in, Jarvis, P. (ed.) The Routledge International Handbook on Learning. Routledge. 584 pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-57130-2.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) Cultural capital. In, Kitchen, R. and Thrift, N. (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Vol. 2. Elsevier, Oxford. pp. 404-406. ISBN: 978-0-08-044910-4.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) Immigration. In, Kitchen, R. and Thrift, N. (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Vol. 5. Elsevier, Oxford. pp. 297-307. ISBN: 978-0-08-044910-4.
- Waters, J.L. (2009) Internationalization of education. In, Kitchen, R. and Thrift, N. (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Vol. 5. Elsevier, Oxford. pp. 548-554. ISBN: 978-0-08-044910-4.
- Ley, D. and Waters, J.L. (2004) Transnational migration and the geographical imperative. Chapter 5 in, Jackson, P., Crang, P. and Dwyer, C. (eds.) Transnational Spaces. Routledge, London. pp. 104-121. ISBN: 978-0-415-51087-5.
- Waters, J.L. (2003) 'Satellite Kids' in Vancouver: transnational migration, education and the experiences of lone children. In, Charney, M.W., Yeoh, B.S.A. and Kiong, T.C. (eds.) Asian Migrants and Education: The tensions of education in immigrant societies and among migrant groups. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht. pp. 165-184. ISBN: 978-1-4020-1336-2.
- Waters, J.L. and Teo, S.Y. (2003) 'Social and cultural impacts of immigration: an examination of the concept of 'social cohesion' with implications for British Columbia'. Vancouver Centre of Excellence, Research on Immigration and Integration in the Metropolis Working Paper Series: No. 03-03, 47pp.
- Bauder, H., Waters, J.L. and Teo, S.Y. (2001) 'Economic, demographic and geographic impacts of immigration to British Columbia'. Vancouver Centre of Excellence, Research on Immigration and Integration in the Metropolis Working Paper Series: No. 01-17, 115pp.
- Waters, J.L. (2001) 'The flexible family? Recent immigration and astronaut households in Vancouver, British Columbia'. Vancouver Centre of Excellence, Research on Immigration and Integration in the Metropolis Working Paper Series: No. 01-02, 52pp.
- Waters, J.L. (2001) 'Migration strategies and Transnational Families: Vancouver's Satellite Kids'. Vancouver Centre of Excellence, Research on Immigration and Integration in the Metropolis Working Paper Series: No. 01-10, 39pp.
Research/policy reports and blog entries
- Waters, J. 'UK-China partnerships and collaborations in higher education', GlobalHigherEd, April 23 2008.
- Waters, J. 'Private Canadian education firm buys community college and expands existing links with China', GlobalHigherEd, Feb. 18 2008.
- Waters, J. 'Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University and Liverpool International College', GlobalHigherEd, Dec. 19 2007.
- Waters, J. 'Offshore schools as 'feeders' to the Canadian higher education system', GlobalHigherEd, Nov. 28 2007.
- Waters, J.L. and Teo, S.Y. (2001) 'Social and Cultural Impacts of Immigration: An Examination of Research into Social Cohesion with Implications for British Columbia' for B.C. Ministry of Multiculturalism and Immigration, Canada.
- Bauder, H., Waters, J.L. and Teo, S.Y. (2001) 'Economic, Demographic and Geographic Impacts of Immigration to British Columbia' for B.C. Ministry of Multiculturalism and Immigration, Canada.
- Waters, J.L. (2000) Policy Research Conference 'Rethinking the Line: the Canada-US border', October 22nd - 25th, Vancouver, B.C. (published in conference proceedings).
- Waters, J.L. (2000) 'Urban Diversity: Managing Multicultural Cities' March 27th, Robson Square Conference Centre, Vancouver.