Dr Fai Fung
- Visiting Research Associate
- Member of the Climate Systems and Policy research cluster
- Member of the ECI Climate Research Group
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Fai Fung is a Visiting Research Associate at the School of Geography and the Environment. Prior to this he worked as a Tyndall Research Fellow at the School from 2008-2013, where he contributed to Tyndall Research Programme 1.1 - responding to policy demands for improved information on impacts, damages and uncertainty at the local scale. His research focuses on exploring probabilistic climate change information and how this can be used to help practitioners in the management of water resources and aquatic ecosystems.
From 2002, Fai conducted research at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in the modelling of water resources on the continental scale with a focus on climate change impacts. His research also included a wide range of engineering activities ranging from studies of reservoir operation rules, extreme rainfall frequency to flood studies.
He began his research career at Imperial College London where he gained a PhD in civil engineering in the Fluid Dynamics section, investigating the interaction between wind and ocean waves. This was preceded by a MEng in civil engineering and a graduate position at an engineering consultancy.
Current research interests include basin- and continental-scale hydrological modelling with respect to water resources and aquatic ecosystems and the impact of climate change upon them. He is particularly interested how the results of these scientific endeavours can be implemented such that they are relevant to policy makers and practitioners.
- Lopez, A., Fung, C.F., New, M., Watts, G., Weston, A. and Wilby, R.L. (2009) From climate model ensembles to climate change impacts and adaptation: A case study of water resource management in the southwest of England. Water Resources Research, 45: W08419.
- Kay, A.L., Jones, D.A., Crooks, S.M., Kjeldsen, T.R. and Fung, C.F. (2007) An investigation of site-similarity approaches to generalisation of a rainfall-runoff model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 11(1): 500-515.
- Fung, C.F., Farquharson, F. and Chowdhury, J. (2006) Exploring the impacts of climate change on water resources - regional impacts at a regional scale: Bangladesh. 5th World FRIEND Conference, IAHS, Havana, Cuba.
- Svensson, C., Folwell, S., Dempsey, P., Dent, J. and Fung, C.F. (2006) Reservoir Safety - Long Return Period Rainfall: Report on Data Consolidation. Defra project number WS194/2/39, October 2006.
- Fung, C.F. and Farquharson, F.A.K. (2004) Impacts of Climate Change and Sea Level Rise on the Indian Sub-continent. Water, Department for International Development, 18: 4.
- Fung, C.F. (2003) The Structure of Airflow over Waves. PhD Thesis, Imperial College, London.