Dr Eric Knight
- Visiting Research Associate
- Member of the Transformations: Economy, Society and Place research cluster
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eric's research focuses on innovation economics with a particular focus on institutional investment in high technology sectors. His doctoral research focused on the emerging clean tech sector in North America and Europe. His current research focuses on capital flows into infrastructure and private equity investments across Asia, Europe, and North America more broadly. This research has implications for fiscal policies appropriate for attracting foreign direct investment in new industries.
Eric completed his DPhil in economic geography at University of Oxford as an Australian Rhodes Scholar. Eric has worked as an independent academic consultant to several international organisations including the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the United Nations Environment Program Finance Initiative. He was a tutor in the 'Geographies of Finance' undergraduate course and the 'Corporate Environment Management' masters course.
Eric's journalism and political commentary can be accessed at his personal website: www.ericknight.com.au.
Eric's research interests include: international finance; private equity; infrastructure finance; public financing approaches to clean technology deployment; and investment management of pension funds and sovereign wealth funds.
Academic and Working Papers
- Knight, E.R.W. (2012) Five perspectives on an emerging market: challenges with clean tech private equity. Journal of Alternative Investments, 14(3): 76-81.
- Knight, E.R.W. (2012) The economic geography of financing clean energy technologies. Competition and Change, 16(2): 77-90.
- Knight, E.R.W. (2010) Economic geography of European carbon trading markets. Journal of Economic Geography, 12(2): 1-25.
- Clark, G.L. and Knight, E.R.W. (2011) Temptation and the virtues of long-term commitment: the governance of sovereign wealth fund investment. Asian Journal of International Law, 1: 321-348.
- Knight, E.R.W. (2010) The economic geography of clean tech venture capital, Centre for Employment, Work and Finance Working Paper, available on SSRN.
- Knight, E.R.W. and Dixon, A. (2009) The role of asset consulting in transforming investment decision-making: The integration of environmental, social and governance considerations into corporate valuation. In, Hawley, J., Kamath, S. and Williams, A.T. (eds.) (2010) Institutional Investors, Risk / Return Tradeoffs, and Corporate Governance Failures. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Clark, G.L. and Knight, E.R.W. (2009) Implications of the UK Companies Act 2006 for Institutional Investors and the Market for Corporate Social Responsibility. University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, 11(2): 259-296.
- Miller, M., Wilder, M. and Knight, E.R.W. (2008) Legal Issues and Contractual Solutions for LULUCF Projects under the Clean Development Mechanism. In, Streck et al. Climate Change and Forests, Emerging Policy and Market Solutions, Brookings Institute Press.
Policy Papers and Reports
- World Bank (2010) Climate Change and Fiscal Policy: A Report for APEC.
- Knight, E.R.W. (2009) Fiduciary responsibility - Legal and practical aspects of integrating environmental, social and governance issues into institutional investment, United Nations Environment Program Finance Initiative.
- Knight, E.R.W. (2009) The post-2012 financing landscape for developing countries: Indonesia. Presented to Indonesian Ministry of Finance and World Bank, Jakarta.
- Doornbosch, R. and Knight, E.R.W. (2008) What Role for Public Finance in International Climate Change Mitigation, OECD Roundtable for Sustainable Development, SG/SD/RT(2008)3.