Non-citizen policing: Organised crime control, local sovereignty, and everyday practices in Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya
Hanno is a DPhil student in Human Geography.
Hanno received his undergraduate degree in Area Studies Africa from Humboldt University of Berlin and his MLitt in International Security Studies from the University of St. Andrews. He has worked as a research assistant at the British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA) in Nairobi, for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Nyarugusu refugee camp (Tanzania), and for the Friedrich-Ebert Foundation (FES) in Amman (Jordan).
He is co-coordinator for the Africa research group in the German Network for Refugee Research (Netzwerk Flüchtlingsforschung).
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) +3 Studentship.
- Scholarship: German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes) for Bachelors, Masters, and Doctoral Research.
Hanno's DPhil project investigates 'everyday' forms of policing and security interactions in Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya.
- Brankamp, H. (2016) Community policing in Kakuma camp, Kenya. Forced Migration Review, 53: 51-52.
- Brankamp, H. (2015) Wahlfieber in Tansania: John Magufuli neuer Präsident. Afrika Süd, 44(6): 14-16.
- Brankamp, H. (2015) Challenging the "Refugee-Victim" Narrative. Pambazuka News, Issue 733, 2 July 2015.
- Brankamp, H. (2015) Kakuma: Anatomie der Sicherheitslage. [Kakuma: Anatomy of Camp Security, in German]. Flüchtlingsforschungsblog, Netzwerk Flüchtlingsforschung, 30 June 2015.
- Brankamp, H. (2015) Hegemonic Masculinity, Victimhood and Male Bodies as "Battlefields" in Eastern DR Congo. IReflect, 2(1).
- Brankamp, H. (2015) The Question of "Internal Colonialism". Pambazuka News, Issue 710, 13 January 2015.
- Brankamp, H. (2014) Pan-ethnicity and memories of violence in pre-1994 Burundi and Rwanda. Pambazuka News, Issue 692, 4 September, 2014.
- Brankamp, H. (2014) Rwanda: To what extent did the Hamitic Myth prepare the ground for 1994? Pambazuka News, Issue 683, 18 June 2014.
- Democracy in Africa: Closing the camps: Kenya's déja-vu politics, 20 May 2016.
- Zeit Online: Europa ist nicht das Zentrum der Flüchtlingskrise (co-authored with Joel Glasman), 17 May 2016.
- Open Democracy: Good camps, bad camps. What's wrong with the 'Jungle'?, 21 March 2016.
- African Argument: #WhatWouldMagufuliDo sparks new bout of Tanzaphilia, 30 November 2015.
- Africa Is A Country: In Germany, are some refugees more equal than others?, 29 July 2015.
- Africa Is A Country: Germany on Safari: A new military scramble for Africa?, 9 July 2015.
- International State Crime Initiative (ISCI): Villagisation and State Crime in Ethiopia's Gambella Region.
- Think Africa Press: CCM's Identity Crisis: Comebacks, Constitution and Corruption in Tanzania, 21 February 2014.
- Think Africa Press: Not Just Islam: How Somalia's Union of Islamic Courts Used Local Customs, 22 July 2013.
- Think Africa Press: Tanzania's Islamist Militants: A Domestic Threat from a Domestic Context, 20 June 2013.
Papers presented at Seminars and Conferences
- 'Community Policing in Kakuma refugee camp, Kenya', presented at Researching East Africa workshop at the University of Warwick, 13 May 2016.
- 'Security Patchworks: Crime, Violence, and Non-state policing in Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya', presented at 9th Pan-European Conference on International Relations in Sicily, European International Studies Association (EISA), 23-26. September 2015.